Postoperative psychological distress in patients having total hip or knee replacements: an exploratory panel study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationOrthop Nurs 31(5):302-11
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to describe postoperative anxiety and depression in patients undergoing total hip or knee replacement, describe and identify preexisting factors known during hospitalization and postdischarge, and detect associations with symptoms of anxiety and depression at home at least 4 weeks posthospital discharge. Patients from 2 sites in Iceland answered self-administered questionnaires at the hospital and at home. The questionnaires included questions about anxiety, depression, pain, family and social situations, and hospital and illness experience. Patients exhibited few symptoms of anxiety and depression. Significant associations between symptoms of anxiety and depression at the hospital with anxiety and depression at home, as well as between general postoperative symptoms and quality of sleep, were found. Postoperative anxiety was predicted by depression at the time of admission to the hospital. Postoperative depression was predicted by depression at the hospital and presence of pain at home. Most patients found that the operation was as successful as expected; 29.6% stated that they had recovered very well and 33.6% wanted more information about the time it takes to recover.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Orthopaedic nursing / National Association of Orthopaedic Nurses
- Predictors of psychological distress in patients at home following cardiac surgery: an explorative panel study.
- Authors: Sveinsdóttir H, Ingadóttir B
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Post-operative anxiety and depression levels in orthopaedic surgery: a study of 56 patients undergoing hip or knee arthroplasty.
- Authors: Nickinson RS, Board TN, Kay PR
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Self-perceived distress and self-perceived functional recovery after recent total hip and knee arthroplasty.
- Authors: Caracciolo B, Giaquinto S
- Issue date: 2005 Sep-Oct
- Effectiveness of psychological support in patients undergoing primary total hip or knee arthroplasty: a controlled cohort study.
- Authors: Tristaino V, Lantieri F, Tornago S, Gramazio M, Carriere E, Camera A
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Preoperative education for total hip and knee replacement patients.
- Authors: Daltroy LH, Morlino CI, Eaton HM, Poss R, Liang MH
- Issue date: 1998 Dec