Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
Other TitlesCase report: respiratory symptoms in a competitive swimmer.
CitationLæknablaðið 2013, 99(2):83-5
AbstractUngur keppnissundmaður leitaði læknis vegna öndunarfæraeinkenna sem tengdust sundiðkun. Hann reyndist hafa eðlilegt öndunarpróf. Hann greindist með astma með berkjuauðreitniprófi og var settur á viðeigandi meðferð. Gefið er yfirlit yfir reglur íþróttahreyfingarinnar um greiningu astma, hvaða astmalyf eru á bannlista og hvernig er sótt um undanþágu frá þessum reglum. Farið er yfir greiningarpróf astma. Fyrir utan öndunarpróf fyrir og eftir berkjuvíkkun er stuðst við berkjuauðreitnipróf og áreynslupróf. Þá er gefið yfirlit yfir meingerð astma hjá sundmönnum og hvernig hann er talinn tengjast klór sem notaður er sem sótthreinsiefni í sundlaugum og algengi astma meðal keppnisfólks í sundi er skoðað.
A young competitive swimmer consulted a physician because of respiratory symptoms. He was found to have a normal spirometry. Bronchial asthma was diagnosed based on bronchial challenge test and appropriate treatment started. An overview is given on the rules of the National Sports Association on the treatment of asthma, which asthma medications are banned and how to apply for an exemption. Diagnostic studies for asthma are reviewed. In addition to spirometry before and after bronchodilatation, bronchial challenge tests and exercise tests are used. An overview of pathophysiology of swimmer's asthma is given and how it is connected to chloride that is used as a disinfectant. The incidence of asthma among competitive swimmers is reviewed.
- The role of the bronchial provocation challenge tests in the diagnosis of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction in elite swimmers.
- Authors: Castricum A, Holzer K, Brukner P, Irving L
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- [Assessment of exercise test and bronchial reversibility test as tools for asthma diagnosis in patients with normal spirometry].
- Authors: Kuziemski K, Jassem E, Słomiński JM, Ruczyński J
- Issue date: 2006
- Exhaled breath temperature in elite swimmers: The effects of a training session in adolescents with or without asthma.
- Authors: Couto M, Santos P, Silva D, Delgado L, Moreira A
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Asthma in elite athletes.
- Authors: Elers J, Pedersen L, Backer V
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Association of the asthma control questionnaire with exercise-induced bronchoconstriction.
- Authors: Madhuban AA, Driessen JM, Brusse-Keizer MG, van Aalderen WM, de Jongh FH, Thio BJ
- Issue date: 2011 Apr