Monitoring muscle growth and tissue changes induced by electrical stimulation of denervated degenerated muscles with CT and stereolithographic 3D modeling.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationArtif Organs 2005, 29(6):440-3
AbstractIn the frame of the EU-funded RISE project, patients with lower motor neuron lesion and denervated and degenerated muscles are treated with electrical stimulation, with the aim of restoring muscle mass and force. Spiral computer tomography from the hip joint down to the knee joint is used to gather three-dimensional data on the upper leg tissue. These data are analyzed in order to monitor tissue changes induced by the electrical stimulation treatment. Especially the data representing muscle tissue and bone tissue were isolated for measurement purposes. Computer models and models made with rapid prototyping methods were used to display and demonstrate changes in muscle shape and size, as well as position relative to bone. Results showed that time and spatial dependencies of muscle growth can be monitored and studied quantitatively and qualitatively with the aid of a three-dimensional data set displayed on the computer screen or in the form of plastic models. These first results indicate muscle growth and an increase in bone density.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Electrical stimulation of denervated muscles: first results of a clinical study.
- Authors: Mödlin M, Forstner C, Hofer C, Mayr W, Richter W, Carraro U, Protasi F, Kern H
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Stimulation parameter optimization for functional electrical stimulation assisted gait in human spinal cord injury using response surface methodology.
- Authors: Kim Y, Schmit BD, Youm Y
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Muscle, tendons, and bone: structural changes during denervation and FES treatment.
- Authors: Gargiulo P, Reynisson PJ, Helgason B, Kern H, Mayr W, Ingvarsson P, Helgason T, Carraro U
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Quantitative color three-dimensional computer tomography imaging of human long-term denervated muscle.
- Authors: Gargiulo P, Kern H, Carraro U, Ingvarsson P, Knútsdóttir S, Gudmundsdóttir V, Yngvason S, Vatnsdal B, Helgason T
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Home-based functional electrical stimulation rescues permanently denervated muscles in paraplegic patients with complete lower motor neuron lesion.
- Authors: Kern H, Carraro U, Adami N, Biral D, Hofer C, Forstner C, Mödlin M, Vogelauer M, Pond A, Boncompagni S, Paolini C, Mayr W, Protasi F, Zampieri S
- Issue date: 2010 Oct