Listeriosis in Iceland, 1978-2000: a description of cases and molecular epidemiology
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsHjaltested, Einar K
Kristinsson, Karl G
MetadataShow full item record
CitationScand. J. Infect. Dis. 2002, 34(10):735-41
AbstractThe purpose of our study was to review all cases of listeriosis in Iceland during the period 1978-2000 and to analyse the genetic relatedness of their isolates. Case records of all patients in Iceland with listeriosis during the period were reviewed and the isolates compared using serotyping and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) using SmaI, AseI and ApaI restriction enzymes. Forty cases of listeriosis were diagnosed during the period, resulting in a mean annual incidence of 6.9 cases per million and a case fatality rate of 33%. In the first 5 y of the study only serotype 4b was observed; subsequently serotypes 1/2a and 1/2b appeared and serotype 4b declined in prevalence. PFGE yielded 24 different genotypes with 7 clusters of indistinguishable genotypes, each comprising 2-6 cases. During 1992-95 the annual incidence of listeriosis in Iceland rose to 15 cases per million. This was largely due to 2 clusters, 1 of 3 cases and the other of 6. No cases of listeriosis were diagnosed during 1998-2000. Our data show an increased number of cases within clusters in the latter half of the period. At the same time, food processing and distribution has become increasingly centralized in Iceland, suggesting an increased risk of listeriosis outbreaks.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- [Molecular epidemiology of Listeria monocytogenes infections in a health district of Madrid in a 3-year period (2001-2003)].
- Authors: García-Alvarez M, Chaves F, Sanz F, Otero JR
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Surveillance for Listeria monocytogenes and listeriosis, 1995-2004.
- Authors: Clark CG, Farber J, Pagotto F, Ciampa N, Doré K, Nadon C, Bernard K, Ng LK, CPHLN.
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Listeria monocytogenes infection and serotype distribution among HIV-infected persons in Los Angeles County, 1985-1992.
- Authors: Ewert DP, Lieb L, Hayes PS, Reeves MW, Mascola L
- Issue date: 1995 Apr 15
- Listeria monocytogenes infection from foods prepared in a commercial establishment: a case-control study of potential sources of sporadic illness in the United States.
- Authors: Varma JK, Samuel MC, Marcus R, Hoekstra RM, Medus C, Segler S, Anderson BJ, Jones TF, Shiferaw B, Haubert N, Megginson M, McCarthy PV, Graves L, Gilder TV, Angulo FJ
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 15
- A survey of laboratory-confirmed isolates of invasive listeriosis in Israel, 1997-2007.
- Authors: Vasilev V, Japheth R, Andorn N, Yshai R, Agmon V, Gazit E, Kashi Y, Cohen D
- Issue date: 2009 Apr