Vaccination of COPD patients with a pneumococcus type 6B tetanus toxoid conjugate vaccine
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur. Respir. J. 2002, 20(4):813-8
AbstractThis paper examines how pneumococcal type 6B polysaccharide conjugated to tetanus toxoid (Pn6B-TT) compares to a 23 valent pneumococcal vaccine (pneumococcal polysaccharide (PPS)-23) with respect to immunogenicity and serum opsonic activity in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Patients with COPD aged 55-75 yrs were vaccinated with Pn6B-TT (n=10) or with PPS-23 (n=9). Healthy young adults (HA) were vaccinated with Pn6B-TT as controls. Total antibodies to serotype 6B polysaccharide were measured by radioimmunoassay and immunoglobulin (Ig)G antibodies by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Opsonic activity was measured by a phagocytosis assay using human neutrophils as effector cells. The patient groups were comparable by age, smoking history, lung function and use of steroids. COPD patients vaccinated with Pn6B-TT or PPS-23 showed an increase in IgG antibodies and a nonsignificant increase in opsonic activity. This was similar to the increase in IgG and opsonic activity seen in HA. There was a significant correlation between antibody levels and opsonic activity in COPD patients vaccinated both with Pn6B-TT and PPS-23. Pneumococcal antibodies have been shown to confer protection from infection. The results of the present study indicate that protective immunity can be expected in elderly chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients vaccinated with conjugate vaccines.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Isotypes and opsonophagocytosis of pneumococcus type 6B antibodies elicited in infants and adults by an experimental pneumococcus type 6B-tetanus toxoid vaccine.
- Authors: Vidarsson G, Sigurdardottir ST, Gudnason T, Kjartansson S, Kristinsson KG, Ingolfsdottir G, Jonsson S, Valdimarsson H, Schiffman G, Schneerson R, Jonsdottir I
- Issue date: 1998 Jun
- Immune responses of infants vaccinated with serotype 6B pneumococcal polysaccharide conjugated with tetanus toxoid.
- Authors: Sigurdardottir ST, Vidarsson G, Gudnason T, Kjartansson S, Kristinsson KG, Jonsson S, Valdimarsson H, Schiffman G, Schneerson R, Jonsdottir I
- Issue date: 1997 Jul
- Pneumococcal capsular polysaccharide vaccine-mediated protection against serotype 3 Streptococcus pneumoniae in immunodeficient mice.
- Authors: Tian H, Groner A, Boes M, Pirofski LA
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Immunogenicity and safety of the 13-valent Pneumococcal Conjugate vaccine in 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine-naive and pre-immunized patients under treatment with chronic haemodialysis: a longitudinal quasi-experimental phase IV study.
- Authors: Vandecasteele SJ, De Bacquer D, Caluwe R, Ombelet S, Van Vlem B
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Methotrexate reduces vaccine-specific immunoglobulin levels but not numbers of circulating antibody-producing B cells in rheumatoid arthritis after vaccination with a conjugate pneumococcal vaccine.
- Authors: Kapetanovic MC, Nagel J, Nordström I, Saxne T, Geborek P, Rudin A
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 7