Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsKristinsson, Sigurdur Yngvi
Agnarsson, Bjarni A
Johannesson, Gudmundur M
Eyjolfsson, Gudmundur I
Onundarson, Pall T
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHematol. J. 2002, 3 (3):145-7
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is a rare B-cell lymphoproliferative disorder. Previous epidemiological studies have mainly focused on cases derived from single institutions or from localized cancer registries. This is the first study in which all cases diagnosed nationwide over a long period of time in a well defined population are analysed. We report the epidemiology of all HCL patients in Iceland, their clinical characteristics, treatment and follow-up. PATIENTS AND METHODS:: All patients diagnosed with HCL in Iceland over a 20 year period, were included in this study. Data was collected retrospectively. RESULTS: Sixteen patients, 13 males and three females were diagnosed with HCL in Iceland from 1981-2000, giving a mean incidence of 4.7/million/year (95% CI: 2.7-7.6) in the population 20 years and older. Eleven patients were treated with a purine analogue, 10 of whom achieved CR. One other patient obtained CR following splenectomy and IFN, giving a total CR rate of 69%. Three other patients (19%) obtained PR, giving a total response rate of 88%. One patient had a variant of HCL and did not respond to any therapy and one patient died of sepsis before any chemotherapy could be given. Six patients with HCL have died, one from complications of HCL. Three patients developed a second malignancy (19%). CONCLUSIONS: The mean incidence of HCL in Iceland is 4.7/million/year. This is slighty higher than the reported incidence in England and Wales, although not significantly higher. The incidence is based on a nationwide information from a well defined stable and racially homogenous island population. Other results are in accordance with previously published studies.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine (cladribine) in the treatment of hairy cell leukemia and hairy cell leukemia variant: 7-year experience in Poland.
- Authors: Robak T, Błasińska-Morawiec M, Błoński J, Hellmann A, Hałaburda K, Konopka L, Kotlarek-Haus S, Potoczek S, Hansz J, Dmoszyńska A, Urasiński I, Zdziarska B, Dwilewicz-Trojaczek J, Hołowiecki J, Skotnicki AB
- Issue date: 1999 Jan
- Long-term results of alpha interferon as initial therapy and splenectomy as consolidation therapy in patients with hairy cell leukemia. Final report from the Italian Cooperative Group for HCL.
- Authors: Federico M, Frassoldati A, Lamparelli T, Foà R, Brugiatelli M, Annino L, Baldini L, Capnist G, Chisesi T, di Celle PF
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- Second malignancies in patients with hairy cell leukemia in british columbia: a 20-year experience.
- Authors: Au WY, Klasa RJ, Gallagher R, Le N, Gascoyne RD, Connors JM
- Issue date: 1998 Aug 15
- Five years follow-up after 2-chloro deoxyadenosine treatment in thirty patients with hairy cell leukemia: evaluation of minimal residual disease and CD4+ lymphocytopenia after treatment.
- Authors: Bastie JN, Cazals-Hatem D, Daniel MT, D'Agay MF, Rabian C, Glaisner S, Noel-Walter MP, Dabout D, Flandrin G, Dombret H, Poisson D, Degos L, Castaigne S
- Issue date: 1999 Nov
- Hairy cell leukemia: a clinical review based on 725 cases of the Italian Cooperative Group (ICGHCL). Italian Cooperative Group for Hairy Cell Leukemia.
- Authors: Frassoldati A, Lamparelli T, Federico M, Annino L, Capnist G, Pagnucco G, Dini E, Resegotti L, Damasio EE, Silingardi V
- Issue date: 1994 Apr