The 7-year cumulative incidence of cornea guttata and morphological changes in the corneal endothelium in the Reykjavik Eye Study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Ophthalmol 2013, 91(3):212-8
AbstractTo examine the corneal endothelium and establish the 7-year cumulative incidence of cornea guttata (CG).
Population-based prospective cohort study with 573 participants (third wave of the Reykjavik Eye Study (RES) in 2008). Four hundred and thirty-seven subjects had either right or left eyes available for analysis after excluding confounding eye conditions. The baseline for eyes at risk for developing CG is the second wave of the RES in 2001. Participants underwent specular microscopy and a standardized eye examination.
The cumulative 7-year incidence of CG in either eye was estimated as a 95% confidence interval for the expected value for both genders combined (15-23%), for males (8-18%) and for females (19-29%). In right eye only, the 7-year cumulative incidence for both genders combined was estimated to be 6-11%. For genders combined and for males only, the data indicated no correlation between 7-year cumulated incidence and age at baseline. In women, however, the change of 7-year incidence for CG in at least one eye appeared to be correlated to age at baseline. Reduction of endothelial cell density for corneas with CG at baseline was found [CI (0.95)-132 ± 94].
The cumulative 7-year incidence of primary central CG for a middle-aged and older Caucasian population without history of potentially confounding eye disease has been established. Women tend to have higher incidence if onset occurs at middle age. If CG is present, the cell density and the cell size variation decrease within a 7-year period.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Acta ophthalmologica
- Prevalence and risk factors for cornea guttata in the Reykjavik Eye Study.
- Authors: Zoega GM, Fujisawa A, Sasaki H, Kubota A, Sasaki K, Kitagawa K, Jonasson F
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Prevalence of and risk factors for cornea guttata in a population-based study in a southwestern island of Japan: the Kumejima study.
- Authors: Higa A, Sakai H, Sawaguchi S, Iwase A, Tomidokoro A, Amano S, Araie M
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Reykjavik Eye Study and cornea guttata.
- Authors: Khan AO
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Correlation between Guttata Severity and Thickness of Descemet's Membrane and the Central Cornea.
- Authors: Huang J, Tepelus TC, Baghdasaryan E, Huang P, Shi Y, Hsu HY, Sadda SR, Lee OL
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Morphometry of corneal endothelium in patients with corneal guttata.
- Authors: Giasson CJ, Solomon LD, Polse KA
- Issue date: 2007 Aug