Seasonal variation in cis-9, trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid content in milk fat from Nordic countries
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ. Dairy Sci. 2004, 87(9):2800-2
AbstractWe investigated the content of cis-9, trans-11 isomer of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and its seasonal variation in bovine milk fat from Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden. Milk samples were collected during winter and summer and analyzed using gas chromatography. The CLA content in milk samples from the Nordic countries ranged from 0.41 to 1.02 g/100 g total fatty acids. The CLA content was higher in Iceland (0.64 +/- 0.02) than in the other countries together (0.57 +/- 0.02), and the concentration in Icelandic and Danish milk (0.63 +/- 0.03) was higher than in Finnish milk (0.48 +/- 0.02) in a comparison of single countries. The CLA concentration during summer was on average 41.6% (11.9) higher than during winter (0.48 g/100 g (0.03) vs. 0.068 g/100 g (0.07)). Season exerted similar changes in all 5 countries. The concentration of CLA in milk fat from the Nordic countries seems lower than in milk from European countries reported previously in the literature, which may be due to shorter summers and longer winters in the Nordic countries. Health implications of varying concentrations of CLA need to be studied.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Dose response of milk fat to intravenous administration of the trans-10, cis-12 isomer of conjugated linoleic acid.
- Authors: Viswanadha S, Giesy JG, Hanson TW, McGuire MA
- Issue date: 2003 Oct
- Evaluating the conjugated linoleic acid and trans 18:1 isomers in milk fat of dairy cows fed increasing amounts of sunflower oil and a constant level of fish oil.
- Authors: Cruz-Hernandez C, Kramer JK, Kennelly JJ, Glimm DR, Sorensen BM, Okine EK, Goonewardene LA, Weselake RJ
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Hot topic: Fatty acid and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) isomer composition of commercial CLA-fortified dairy products: evaluation after processing and storage.
- Authors: Rodríguez-Alcalá LM, Fontecha J
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Differences in CLA isomer distribution of cow's milk lipids.
- Authors: Kraft J, Collomb M, Möckel P, Sieber R, Jahreis G
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Starter cultures and cattle feed manipulation enhance conjugated linoleic acid concentrations in Cheddar cheese.
- Authors: Mohan MS, Anand S, Kalscheur KF, Hassan AN, Hippen AR
- Issue date: 2013 Apr