A genomic map of a 6-Mb region at 13q21-q22 implicated in cancer development: identification and characterization of candidate genes
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Bergthorsson, Jon Thor
Johannsdottir, Hrefna Kristin
Stephan, Dietrich A
Juo, Suh-Hang Hank
Barkardottir, Rosa Bjork
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHum. Genet. 2002, 110(2):111-21
AbstractChromosomal region 13q21-q22 harbors a putative breast cancer susceptibility gene and has been implicated as a common site for somatic deletions in a variety of malignant tumors. We have built a complete physical clone contig for a region between D13S1308 and AFM220YE9 based on 18 yeast artificial chromosome and 81 bacterial artificial chromosome (BAC) clones linked together by 22 genetic markers and 61 other sequence tagged sites. Combining data from 47 sequenced BACs (as of June 2001), we have assembled in silico an integrated 5.7-Mb genomic map with 90% sequence coverage. This area contains eight known genes, two hypothetical proteins, 24 additional Unigene clusters, and approximately 100 predicted genes and exons. We have determined the cDNA and genomic sequence, and tissue expression profiles for the KIAA1008 protein (homologous to the yeast mitotic control protein dis3+), KLF12 (AP-2 repressor), progesterone induced blocking factor 1, zinc finger transcription factor KLF5, and LIM domain only-7, and for the hypothetical proteins FLJ22624 and FLJ21869. Mutation screening of the five known genes in 19 breast cancer families has revealed numerous polymorphisms, but no deleterious mutations. These data provide a basis and resources for further analyses of this chromosomal region in the development of cancer.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Defining a common region of deletion at 13q21 in human cancers.
- Authors: Chen C, Brabham WW, Stultz BG, Frierson HF Jr, Barrett JC, Sawyers CL, Isaacs JT, Dong JT
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Cloning, chromosomal localization, physical mapping, and genomic characterization of HKR3.
- Authors: Maris JM, Jensen SJ, Sulman EP, Beltinger CP, Gates K, Allen C, Biegel JA, Brodeur GM, White PS
- Issue date: 1996 Jul 15
- A physical, transcript, and deletion map of chromosome region 12p12.3 flanked by ETV6 and CDKN1B: hypermethylation of the LRP6 CpG island in two leukemia patients with hemizygous del(12p).
- Authors: Baens M, Wlodarska I, Corveleyn A, Hoornaert I, Hagemeijer A, Marynen P
- Issue date: 1999 Feb 15
- A physical map and candidate genes in the BRCA1 region on chromosome 17q12-21.
- Authors: Albertsen HM, Smith SA, Mazoyer S, Fujimoto E, Stevens J, Williams B, Rodriguez P, Cropp CS, Slijepcevic P, Carlson M
- Issue date: 1994 Aug
- An integrated physical and gene map of the 3.5-Mb chromosome 3p21.3 (AP20) region implicated in major human epithelial malignancies.
- Authors: Protopopov A, Kashuba V, Zabarovska VI, Muravenko OV, Lerman MI, Klein G, Zabarovsky ER
- Issue date: 2003 Jan 15