A common variant at 8q24.21 is associated with renal cell cancer.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Gudbjartsson, Daniel F
Gudjonsson, Sigurjon A
Helgadottir, Hafdis Th
Stacey, Simon N
Magnusson, Olafur Th
van der Zanden, Loes F
Aben, Katja K H
Vermeulen, Sita H
Mayordomo, Jose I
Einarsson, Gudmundur V
Kiemeney, Lambertus A
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNat Commun 2013, 4:2776
AbstractRenal cell carcinoma (RCC) represents between 80 and 90% of kidney cancers. Previous genome-wide association studies of RCC have identified five variants conferring risk of the disease. Here we report the results from a discovery RCC genome-wide association study and replication analysis, including a total of 2,411 patients and 71,497 controls. One variant, rs35252396[CG] located at 8q24.21, is significantly associated with RCC after combining discovery and replication results (OR=1.27, P(combined)=5.4 × 10(-11)) and has an average risk allele frequency in controls of 46%. rs35252396[CG] does not have any strongly correlated variants in the genome and is located within a region predicted to have regulatory functions in several cell lines, including six originating from the kidney. This is the first RCC variant reported at 8q24.21 and it is largely independent (r(2)≤0.02) of the numerous previously reported cancer risk variants at this locus.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
- Germline genetic variations at 11q13 and 12p11 locus modulate age at onset for renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Audenet F, Cancel-Tassin G, Bigot P, Audouin M, Gaffory C, Ondet V, Thibault F, Auribault K, Gazut S, Benhabiles N, Azzouzi AR, Méjean A, Rouprêt M, Cussenot O
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Chromosome 11q13.3 variant modifies renal cell cancer risk in a Chinese population.
- Authors: Cao Q, Qin C, Ju X, Meng X, Wang M, Zhu J, Li P, Chen J, Zhang Z, Yin C
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Polymorphisms of DNA repair genes are associated with renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Hirata H, Hinoda Y, Matsuyama H, Tanaka Y, Okayama N, Suehiro Y, Zhao H, Urakami S, Kawamoto K, Kawakami T, Igawa M, Naito K, Dahiya R
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 21
- The role of functional polymorphisms of cyclooxygenase 2 in renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Chang WS, Liao CH, Miao CE, Wu HC, Hou LL, Hsiao CL, Ji HX, Tsai CW, Bau DT
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Association of a haplotype of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-1 and MMP-3 polymorphisms with renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Hirata H, Okayama N, Naito K, Inoue R, Yoshihiro S, Matsuyama H, Suehiro Y, Hamanaka Y, Hinoda Y
- Issue date: 2004 Dec