Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Bjornsdottir, Unnur S
Frigge, Michael L
Gulcher, Jeffrey R
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAm. J. Hum. Genet. 2002, 71(3):483-91
ÚtdrátturAsthma is a complex genetic disorder with a heterogeneous phenotype, largely attributed to the interactions among many genes and between these genes and the environment. Numerous loci and candidate genes have been reported to show linkage and association to asthma and atopy. Although some studies reporting these observations are compelling, no gene has been mapped that confers a sufficiently high risk of asthma to meet the stringent criteria for genomewide significance. Using 175 extended Icelandic families that included 596 patients with asthma, we performed a genomewide scan with 976 microsatellite markers. The families were identified by cross-matching a list of patients with asthma from the Department of Allergy/Pulmonary Medicine of the National University Hospital of Iceland with a genealogy database of the entire Icelandic nation. We detected linkage of asthma to chromosome 14q24, with an allele-sharing LOD score of 2.66. After we increased the marker density within the locus to an average of one microsatellite every 0.2 cM, the LOD score rose to 4.00. We designate this locus "asthma locus one" (AS1). Taken together, these results provide evidence of a novel susceptibility gene for asthma on chromosome 14q24.
Lu00FDsingTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Localization of a gene for peripheral arterial occlusive disease to chromosome 1p31.
- Authors: Gudmundsson G, Matthiasson SE, Arason H, Johannsson H, Runarsson F, Bjarnason H, Helgadottir K, Thorisdottir S, Ingadottir G, Lindpaintner K, Sainz J, Gudnason V, Frigge ML, Kong A, Gulcher JR, Stefansson K
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- Linkage of essential hypertension to chromosome 18q.
- Authors: Kristjansson K, Manolescu A, Kristinsson A, Hardarson T, Knudsen H, Ingason S, Thorleifsson G, Frigge ML, Kong A, Gulcher JR, Stefansson K
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- Linkage genome scan for loci predisposing to panic disorder or agoraphobia.
- Authors: Gelernter J, Bonvicini K, Page G, Woods SW, Goddard AW, Kruger S, Pauls DL, Goodson S
- Issue date: 2001 Aug 8
- Genome-wide search for breast cancer linkage in large Icelandic non-BRCA1/2 families.
- Authors: Arason A, Gunnarsson H, Johannesdottir G, Jonasson K, Bendahl PO, Gillanders EM, Agnarsson BA, Jönsson G, Pylkäs K, Mustonen A, Heikkinen T, Aittomäki K, Blomqvist C, Melin B, Johannsson OT, Møller P, Winqvist R, Nevanlinna H, Borg A, Barkardottir RB
- Issue date: 2010
- Genetic analyses in asthma: current concepts and future directions.
- Authors: Hakonarson H, Halapi E
- Issue date: 2002