Suicidal ideations and attempts among adolescents subjected to childhood sexual abuse and family conflict/violence: the mediating role of anger and depressed mood.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsSigfusdottir, Inga Dora
Asgeirsdottir, Bryndis Bjork
Gudjonsson, Gisli H
Sigurdsson, Jon Fridrik
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Adolesc 2013, 36 (6):1227-36
AbstractBased on a sample of 9085 16- to 19-year-old students attending all high schools in Iceland in 2004, the current study examines depressed mood and anger as potential mediators between family conflict/violence and sexual abuse, on the one hand, and suicidal ideations and suicide attempts on the other. Agnew's general strain theory provides the theoretical framework for the study. Structural equation modelling (SEM) was conducted allowing explicit modelling of both direct and mediating effects using observed and latent variables. The findings showed that both depressed mood and anger mediated the relationship between family conflict/violence and sexual abuse and suicidal attempts. However, when testing the mediating pathways between sexual abuse and family conflict/violence and suicidal ideations, only depressed mood but not anger turned out to be a significant mediator. The authors discuss how these finding may inform and facilitate the design and development of interventions to reduce the likelihood of suicide attempts among young people.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to Journal of adolescence
- Associations between sexual abuse and family conflict/violence, self-injurious behavior, and substance use: the mediating role of depressed mood and anger.
- Authors: Asgeirsdottir BB, Sigfusdottir ID, Gudjonsson GH, Sigurdsson JF
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Identification of sexually abused female adolescents at risk for suicidal ideations: a classification and regression tree analysis.
- Authors: Brabant ME, Hébert M, Chagnon F
- Issue date: 2013
- Facets of anger, childhood sexual victimization, and gender as predictors of suicide attempts by psychiatric patients after hospital discharge.
- Authors: Sadeh N, McNiel DE
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Traumatic events and suicidality in a German adolescent community sample.
- Authors: Plener PL, Singer H, Goldbeck L
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Differences and similarities in the serotonergic diathesis for suicide attempts and mood disorders: a 22-year longitudinal gene-environment study.
- Authors: Brezo J, Bureau A, Mérette C, Jomphe V, Barker ED, Vitaro F, Hébert M, Carbonneau R, Tremblay RE, Turecki G
- Issue date: 2010 Aug