The effect of adolescents' sports clubs participation on self-reported mental and physical conditions and future expectations.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Sports Sci. 2013, 31 (10):1139-45
AbstractSports clubs create conditions for people of all ages to pursue a healthy lifestyle through exercise in sports and attend to constructive pedagogical work which creates much value for society. This study investigates the relationship between adolescents' sports clubs participation and self-reported mental and physical conditions and future expectations. The participants were 10,987 pupils in the final three years of their compulsory education in Iceland (aged 14-16 years). The participants completed questionnaires administered to students in the classroom relating to health and behaviour. The results indicate that participation in sports clubs influences adolescents positively; adolescents who work hard at sport not only believe they are in better mental and physical condition, they also believe they can succeed in other areas such as their studies. Sports clubs promote positive influence on adolescents' mental and physical conditions and their future expectations toward work and happiness. It can be concluded that participation in organised sports clubs affects the participants in a positive way.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to Journal of sports sciences
- Trends in physical activity and participation in sports clubs among Icelandic adolescents.
- Authors: Eithsdóttir ST, Kristjánsson AL, Sigfúsdóttir ID, Allegrante JP
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Sports activity, physical activity and fitness of 9- to 19-year-old teenagers in the canton of Vaud (Switzerland).
- Authors: Michaud PA, Narring F, Cauderay M, Cavadini C
- Issue date: 1999 May 8
- Participation in community sports centres: motives and predictors of enjoyment.
- Authors: Ashford B, Biddle S, Goudas M
- Issue date: 1993 Jun
- Self-perception of physical activity and fitness is related to lower psychosomatic health symptoms in adolescents with unhealthy lifestyles.
- Authors: Baceviciene M, Jankauskiene R, Emeljanovas A
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 23
- Physical activity and sports team participation: associations with academic outcomes in middle school and high school students.
- Authors: Fox CK, Barr-Anderson D, Neumark-Sztainer D, Wall M
- Issue date: 2010 Jan