Severe osteoarthritis of the hand associates with common variants within the ALDH1A2 gene and with rare variants at 1p31.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Helgadottir, Hafdis T
Strijbosch, Annelieke M
Eiriksson, Finnur F
Frigge, Michael L
Gudjonsson, Sigurjon A
Magnusson, Olafur T
Arden, Nigel K
Nelissen, Rob G H H
Slagboom, P Eline
Valdes, Ana M
van Meurs, Joyce
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNat. Genet. 2014, 46(5):498-502
AbstractOsteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis and is a major cause of pain and disability in the elderly. To search for sequence variants that confer risk of osteoarthritis of the hand, we carried out a genome-wide association study (GWAS) in subjects with severe hand osteoarthritis, using variants identified through the whole-genome sequencing of 2,230 Icelanders. We found two significantly associated loci in the Icelandic discovery set: at 15q22 (frequency of 50.7%, odds ratio (OR) = 1.51, P = 3.99 × 10(-10)) in the ALDH1A2 gene and at 1p31 (frequency of 0.02%, OR = 50.6, P = 9.8 × 10(-10)). Among the carriers of the variant at 1p31 is a family with several members in whom the risk allele segregates with osteoarthritis. The variants within the ALDH1A2 gene were confirmed in replication sets from The Netherlands and the UK, yielding an overall association of OR = 1.46 and P = 1.1 × 10(-11) (rs3204689).
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
- Functional Characterization of the Osteoarthritis Genetic Risk Residing at ALDH1A2 Identifies rs12915901 as a Key Target Variant.
- Authors: Shepherd C, Zhu D, Skelton AJ, Combe J, Threadgold H, Zhu L, Vincent TL, Stuart P, Reynard LN, Loughlin J
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Genome-wide association and functional studies identify a role for matrix Gla protein in osteoarthritis of the hand.
- Authors: den Hollander W, Boer CG, Hart DJ, Yau MS, Ramos YFM, Metrustry S, Broer L, Deelen J, Cupples LA, Rivadeneira F, Kloppenburg M, Peters M, Spector TD, Hofman A, Slagboom PE, Nelissen RGHH, Uitterlinden AG, Felson DT, Valdes AM, Meulenbelt I, van Meurs JJB
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- The rs4238326 polymorphism in ALDH1A2 gene potentially associated with non-post traumatic knee osteoarthritis susceptibility: a two-stage population-based study.
- Authors: Chu M, Zhu X, Wang C, Rong J, Wang Y, Wang S, Xing B, Tao Y, Zhuang X, Jiang L
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Meta-analysis of Icelandic and UK data sets identifies missense variants in SMO, IL11, COL11A1 and 13 more new loci associated with osteoarthritis.
- Authors: Styrkarsdottir U, Lund SH, Thorleifsson G, Zink F, Stefansson OA, Sigurdsson JK, Juliusson K, Bjarnadottir K, Sigurbjornsdottir S, Jonsson S, Norland K, Stefansdottir L, Sigurdsson A, Sveinbjornsson G, Oddsson A, Bjornsdottir G, Gudmundsson RL, Halldorsson GH, Rafnar T, Jonsdottir I, Steingrimsson E, Norddahl GL, Masson G, Sulem P, Jonsson H, Ingvarsson T, Gudbjartsson DF, Thorsteinsdottir U, Stefansson K
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Identification of new susceptibility loci for osteoarthritis (arcOGEN): a genome-wide association study.
- Authors: arcOGEN Consortium., arcOGEN Collaborators., Zeggini E, Panoutsopoulou K, Southam L, Rayner NW, Day-Williams AG, Lopes MC, Boraska V, Esko T, Evangelou E, Hoffman A, Houwing-Duistermaat JJ, Ingvarsson T, Jonsdottir I, Jonnson H, Kerkhof HJ, Kloppenburg M, Bos SD, Mangino M, Metrustry S, Slagboom PE, Thorleifsson G, Raine EV, Ratnayake M, Ricketts M, Beazley C, Blackburn H, Bumpstead S, Elliott KS, Hunt SE, Potter SC, Shin SY, Yadav VK, Zhai G, Sherburn K, Dixon K, Arden E, Aslam N, Battley PK, Carluke I, Doherty S, Gordon A, Joseph J, Keen R, Koller NC, Mitchell S, O'Neill F, Paling E, Reed MR, Rivadeneira F, Swift D, Walker K, Watkins B, Wheeler M, Birrell F, Ioannidis JP, Meulenbelt I, Metspalu A, Rai A, Salter D, Stefansson K, Stykarsdottir U, Uitterlinden AG, van Meurs JB, Chapman K, Deloukas P, Ollier WE, Wallis GA, Arden N, Carr A, Doherty M, McCaskie A, Willkinson JM, Ralston SH, Valdes AM, Spector TD, Loughlin J
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 1