Retinal oxygen metabolism in exudative age-related macular degeneration.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Ophthalmol. 2014, 92 (1):27-33
AbstractTo determine whether retinal vessel oxygen saturation in patients with exudative age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is different from that of a healthy population.
Oxygen saturation was measured in retinal arterioles and venules in 46 eyes of 46 treatment-naïve exudative AMD patients and 120 eyes of 120 healthy controls. Simple and multiple linear regression analyses were used to compare the two study groups.
Oxygen saturation in retinal venules increases with age in patients with exudative AMD (0.45 ± 0.19% per year; p = 0.026), while it decreases with age in healthy individuals (-0.13 ± 0.03% per year; p = 0.0002). The slopes are statistically different (ANCOVA; p = 0.0003). The reverse is true for the arteriovenous difference in oxygen saturation, which decreases with age in AMD patients (-0.29 ± 0.16% per year; p = 0.065) and increases in healthy individuals (0.12 ± 0.03% per year; p < 0.0001). At age 80 years, AMD patients have 2.7 percentage points higher venous oxygen saturation than healthy persons and 4.2 percentage points less arteriovenous difference.
The data suggest that retinal oxygen metabolism may be altered in exudative AMD. The arteriovenous difference is smaller in exudative AMD than in a healthy cohort, consistent with reduced oxygen extraction by retinal vessels in AMD patients. Further studies are needed to fully understand the role of retinal oxygen metabolism in the pathophysiology of exudative AMD.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to Acta ophthalmologica
- Retinal vessel oxygen saturation in healthy individuals.
- Authors: Geirsdottir A, Palsson O, Hardarson SH, Olafsdottir OB, Kristjansdottir JV, Stefánsson E
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 13
- The flicker response of venous oxygen saturation is significantly reduced in the early and late stages of age-related macular degeneration.
- Authors: Donicova E, Ramm L, Augsten R, Hammer M
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Oxygen saturation in branch retinal vein occlusion.
- Authors: Hardarson SH, Stefánsson E
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Retinal oximetry.
- Authors: Hardarson SH
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- The oxygen saturation in retinal vessels from diabetic patients depends on the severity and type of vision-threatening retinopathy.
- Authors: Jørgensen CM, Hardarson SH, Bek T
- Issue date: 2014 Feb