The Nordic medical birth registers--a potential goldmine for clinical research.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Bjarnadottir, Ragnheidur I
Børdahl, Per E
Lindqvist, Pelle G
Colmorn, Lotte Berdiin
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2014, 93 (2):132-7
AbstractThe Nordic medical birth registers have long been used for valuable clinical research. Their collection of data for more than four decades offers unusual possibilities for research across generations. At the same time, serum and blotting paper blood samples have been stored from most neonates. Two large cohorts (approximately 100 000 births) in Denmark and Norway have been described by questionnaires, interviews and collection of biological samples (blood, urine and milk teeth), as well as a systematic prospective follow-up of the offspring. National patient registers provide information on preceding, underlying and present health problems of the parents and their offspring. Researchers may, with permission from the national authorities, obtain access to individualized or anonymized data from the registers and tissue-banks. These data allow for multivariate analyses but their usefulness depends on knowledge of the specific registers and biological sample banks and on proper validation of the registers.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to Acta obstetricia et gynecologica Scandinavica
- Nordic biological specimen banks as basis for studies of cancer causes and control--more than 2 million sample donors, 25 million person years and 100,000 prospective cancers.
- Authors: Pukkala E, Andersen A, Berglund G, Gislefoss R, Gudnason V, Hallmans G, Jellum E, Jousilahti P, Knekt P, Koskela P, Kyyrönen PP, Lenner P, Luostarinen T, Löve A, Ogmundsdóttir H, Stattin P, Tenkanen L, Tryggvadóttir L, Virtamo J, Wadell G, Widell A, Lehtinen M, Dillner J
- Issue date: 2007
- [Medical birth registries a gold mine for research].
- Authors: Bjerkedal T, Irgens LM
- Issue date: 1993
- Danish nationwide registers for public health and health-related research.
- Authors: Erlangsen A, Fedyszyn I
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- A medical birth registry at Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre.
- Authors: Bergsjø P, Mlay J, Lie RT, Lie-Nielsen E, Shao JF
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Nordic Medical Birth Registers in epidemiological research.
- Authors: Gissler M, Louhiala P, Hemminki E
- Issue date: 1997 Feb