Monoclonal gammopathy in Iceland: a population-based registry and follow-up
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsOgmundsdottir, Helga M
Johannesson, Gudmundur M
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr. J. Haematol. 2002, 118(1):166-73
AbstractThe term monoclonal gammopathy (MG) signifies the benign or malignant clonal growth of B lymphocytes. In the present study, monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) was defined as those patients with no identified haematological malignancy. A database was constructed of all 713 MG patients in Iceland between 1976 and 1997 and compared with the Icelandic Cancer Registry. The age-standardized incidence per 100 000 of MG was 10.3 for males and 8.6 for females, calculated for the whole period, rising steadily from 5.8 (men) and 4.9 (women) during the 5-year period 1976-80 to 14.7 (men) and 12.5 (women) during the last 5 year period. Age-standardized incidence rates were very low for subjects under 50 years of age, then increased with age from 11 and 17 per 100 000 at 50-54, to 169 and 119 per 100 000 at age 80-84, for men and women respectively. No association was detected between MG and non-haematological malignancies, neither retrospectively nor prospectively. Haematological malignancy was diagnosed in 209 (29.3%) cases before the recorded finding of MG or within the same calendar year, leaving 504 (70.7%) patients diagnosed with MGUS. Of these, 51 (10%) progressed to multiple myeloma or Waldenström's macroglobulinaemia after a mean interval of 3.8 years; mean follow-up was 7.4 years, median 6 years. The most common immunoglobulin (Ig) class was IgG (55%), followed by IgM (32%) and IgA (13%). MGUS was a highly significant risk factor for developing haematological malignancies and the risk was significantly greater for MG of the IgA class compared with either IgG or IgM.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- [Epidemiology of monoclonal gammopathy in a general hospital and a university internal medicine department].
- Authors: Decaux O, Rodon P, Ruelland A, Estepa L, Leblay R, Grosbois B
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Epidemiology of Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance (MGUS): The experience from the specialized registry of hematologic malignancies of Basse-Normandie (France).
- Authors: Cabrera Q, Macro M, Hebert B, Cornet E, Collignon A, Troussard X
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Secondary malignancies in patients with multiple myeloma, Waldenström macroglobulinemia and monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance.
- Authors: Castillo JJ, Gertz MA
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance.
- Authors: Kyle RA
- Issue date: 1994 Sep
- [Epidemiology of monoclonal gammopathies].
- Authors: Hurez D
- Issue date: 1993 Feb 1