Localization of a gene for migraine without aura to chromosome 4q21.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Frigge, Michael L
Gulcher, Jeffrey R
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAm. J. Hum. Genet. 2003, 73(5):986-93
AbstractMigraine is a common form of headache and has a significant genetic component. Here, we report linkage results from a study in Iceland of migraine without aura (MO). The study group comprised patients with migraine recruited by neurologists and from the registry of the Icelandic Migraine Society, as well as through the use of a questionnaire sent to a random sample of 20,000 Icelanders. Migraine diagnoses were made and confirmed using diagnostic criteria established by the International Headache Society. A genome-wide scan with multipoint allele-sharing methods was performed on 289 patients suffering from MO. Linkage was observed to a locus on chromosome 4q21 (LOD=2.05; P=.001). The locus reported here overlaps a locus (MGR1) reported elsewhere for patients with migraine with aura (MA) in the Finnish population. This replication of the MGR1 locus in families with MO indicates that the gene we have mapped may contribute to both MA and MO. Further analysis indicates that the linkage evidence improves for affected females and, especially, with a slightly relaxed definition of MO (LOD=4.08; P=7.2 x 10(-6)).
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- A susceptibility locus for migraine with aura, on chromosome 4q24.
- Authors: Wessman M, Kallela M, Kaunisto MA, Marttila P, Sobel E, Hartiala J, Oswell G, Leal SM, Papp JC, Hämäläinen E, Broas P, Joslyn G, Hovatta I, Hiekkalinna T, Kaprio J, Ott J, Cantor RM, Zwart JA, Ilmavirta M, Havanka H, Färkkilä M, Peltonen L, Palotie A
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- A locus for migraine without aura maps on chromosome 14q21.2-q22.3.
- Authors: Soragna D, Vettori A, Carraro G, Marchioni E, Vazza G, Bellini S, Tupler R, Savoldi F, Mostacciuolo ML
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Involvement of the CACNA1A gene containing region on 19p13 in migraine with and without aura.
- Authors: Terwindt GM, Ophoff RA, van Eijk R, Vergouwe MN, Haan J, Frants RR, Sandkuijl LA, Ferrari MD, Dutch Migraine Genetics Research Group.
- Issue date: 2001 Apr 24
- A genome-wide scan provides evidence for loci influencing a severe heritable form of common migraine.
- Authors: Lea RA, Nyholt DR, Curtain RP, Ovcaric M, Sciascia R, Bellis C, Macmillan J, Quinlan S, Gibson RA, McCarthy LC, Riley JH, Smithies YJ, Kinrade S, Griffiths LR
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Gene-based pleiotropy across migraine with aura and migraine without aura patient groups.
- Authors: Zhao H, Eising E, de Vries B, Vijfhuizen LS, International Headache Genetics Consortium., Anttila V, Winsvold BS, Kurth T, Stefansson H, Kallela M, Malik R, Stam AH, Ikram MA, Ligthart L, Freilinger T, Alexander M, Müller-Myhsok B, Schreiber S, Meitinger T, Aromas A, Eriksson JG, Boomsma DI, van Duijn CM, Zwart JA, Quaye L, Kubisch C, Dichgans M, Wessman M, Stefansson K, Chasman DI, Palotie A, Martin NG, Montgomery GW, Ferrari MD, Terwindt GM, van den Maagdenberg AM, Nyholt DR
- Issue date: 2016 Jun