Implementing the semi-structured interview Kiddie-SADS-PL into an in-patient adolescent clinical setting: impact on frequency of diagnoses
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationChild Adolesc Psychiatry Ment Health. 2008, 2(1):14
AbstractABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: Research is needed to establish the utility of diagnostic interviews in clinical settings. Studies comparing clinical diagnoses with diagnoses generated with structured instruments show generally low or moderate agreement and clinical diagnostic assignment (e.g. admission or chart diagnoses) are often considered to underdiagnose disorders. The objective of this study was to evaluate the impact of implementing the Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia for School-Age Children - Present and Lifetime Version (Kiddie-SADS-PL) into an in-patient adolescent clinical setting. METHODS: Participants were all adolescents admitted through the years 2001-2004 (N = 333 admissions, age 12-17 years). The authors reviewed the charts of the previous three years of consecutive admissions, patients being evaluated using routine psychiatric evaluation, before the Kiddie-SADS-PL was introduced. They then reviewed the charts of all consecutive admissions during the next twelve months, patients being evaluated by adding the instrument to routine practice. RESULTS: The rates of several main diagnostic categories (depressive, anxiety, bipolar and disruptive disorders) increased considerably, suggesting that those disorders were likely underreported when using non-structured routine assessment procedures. The rate of co-morbidity increased markedly as the number of diagnoses assigned to each patient increased. CONCLUSION: The major differences in diagnostic assignment rates provide arguments for the utility of diagnostic interviews in inpatient clinical settings but need further research, especially on factors that affect clinical diagnostic assignment in "real world" settings.
DescriptionTo access full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink "View/Open" at the bottom of this page
- The reliability and validity of Kiddie-Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia-Present and Lifetime Version- Korean version (K-SADS-PL-K).
- Authors: Kim YS, Cheon KA, Kim BN, Chang SA, Yoo HJ, Kim JW, Cho SC, Seo DH, Bae MO, So YK, Noh JS, Koh YJ, McBurnett K, Leventhal B
- Issue date: 2004 Feb 29
- The Kiddie Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia Present and Lifetime Version (K-SADS-PL) for DSM-5: A validation for neurodevelopmental disorders in Japanese outpatients.
- Authors: Nishiyama T, Sumi S, Watanabe H, Suzuki F, Kuru Y, Shiino T, Kimura T, Wang C, Lin Y, Ichiyanagi M, Hirai K
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- [Reliability and Validity of the Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia for School-Age Children-Present and Lifetime Version, DSM-5 November 2016-Turkish Adaptation (K-SADS-PL-DSM-5-T)].
- Authors: Ünal F, Öktem F, Çetin Çuhadaroğlu F, Çengel Kültür SE, Akdemir D, Foto Özdemir D, Çak HT, Ünal D, Tıraş K, Aslan C, Kalaycı BM, Aydos BS, Kütük F, Taşyürek E, Karaokur R, Karabucak B, Karakök B, Karaer Y, Artık A
- Issue date: 2019 Spring
- Construct validity and parent-child agreement of the six new or modified disorders included in the Spanish version of the Kiddie Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia present and Lifetime Version DSM-5 (K-SADS-PL-5).
- Authors: de la Peña FR, Rosetti MF, Rodríguez-Delgado A, Villavicencio LR, Palacio JD, Montiel C, Mayer PA, Félix FJ, Larraguibel M, Viola L, Ortiz S, Fernández S, Jaímes A, Feria M, Sosa L, Palacios-Cruz L, Ulloa RE
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Validity and reliability of the kiddie schedule for affective disorders and schizophrenia present and lifetime version DSM-5 (K-SADS-PL-5) Spanish version.
- Authors: de la Peña FR, Villavicencio LR, Palacio JD, Félix FJ, Larraguibel M, Viola L, Ortiz S, Rosetti M, Abadi A, Montiel C, Mayer PA, Fernández S, Jaimes A, Feria M, Sosa L, Rodríguez A, Zavaleta P, Uribe D, Galicia F, Botero D, Estrada S, Berber AF, Pi-Davanzo M, Aldunate C, Gómez G, Campodónico I, Tripicchio P, Gath I, Hernández M, Palacios L, Ulloa RE
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 14