Adrenocorticotrophic hormone exerts marked lipid-lowering effects in simvastatin-treated patients
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ. Intern. Med. 2001, 250(6):530-4
AbstractOBJECTIVE: Recently, it was reported that treatment with adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH) has a strong lipid-lowering effect in healthy individuals. The mechanism behind this has not been established. The aim of the present investigation was to study the effect of ACTH on the plasma lipoprotein pattern in patients treated with a 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase inhibitor. DESIGN: The ACTH treatment was given to 10 patients who were on long-term treatment with simvastatin 40 mg daily. ACTHI-24 was administered at the dose of 1 mg daily for four consecutive days. Blood samples for analyses of lipids, lipoproteins and apolipoproteins were collected before and after treatment. Second baseline was obtained 2 weeks after the end of treatment. RESULTS: The serum concentrations of cholesterol, triglycerides, low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, apolipoprotein B and lipoprotein(a) fell significantly by 16, 23, 23, 10 and 38%, respectively. The serum apolipoprotein E concentration increased significantly by 39%; the fraction that was not associated with apolipoprotein B increased by 47% whereas the fraction that was did not change significantly. There were no changes in the serum concentrations of high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and apolipoprotein AI. At the second baseline, the lipid variables had generally returned to previous levels. CONCLUSIONS: In patients on long-term simvastatin treatment, ACTH had marked lowering effects on the lipoproteins that contain apolipoprotein B. Moreover, the serum apolipoprotein E concentration increased significantly in response to ACTH treatment.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Effect of simvastatin on the lipid profile of hemodialysis patients.
- Authors: Nishikawa O, Mune M, Miyano M, Nishide T, Nishide I, Maeda A, Kimura K, Takahashi T, Kishino M, Tone Y, Otani H, Ogawa A, Maeda T, Yukawa S
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- Effects of simvastatin on C-reactive protein in mixed hyperlipidemic and hypertriglyceridemic patients.
- Authors: Bays HE, Stein EA, Shah AK, Maccubbin DL, Mitchel YB, Mercuri M
- Issue date: 2002 Nov 1
- Effects of diet and simvastatin on serum lipids, insulin, and antioxidants in hypercholesterolemic men: a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Jula A, Marniemi J, Huupponen R, Virtanen A, Rastas M, Rönnemaa T
- Issue date: 2002 Feb 6
- Effects of short-term treatment with corticotropin on the serum apolipoprotein pattern.
- Authors: Arnadottir M, Dallongeville J, Nilsson-Ehle P, Berg AL
- Issue date: 2001 Jul
- Effects of adding fenofibrate (200 mg/day) to simvastatin (10 mg/day) in patients with combined hyperlipidemia and metabolic syndrome.
- Authors: Vega GL, Ma PT, Cater NB, Filipchuk N, Meguro S, Garcia-Garcia AB, Grundy SM
- Issue date: 2003 Apr 15