Difference Between Received and Expected Knowledge of Patients Undergoing Knee or Hip Replacement in Seven European Countries.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationClin Nurs Res 2014, 24 ( 6) 624-643
AbstractThe purpose of the study was to examine received and expected knowledge of patients with knee/hip arthroplasty in seven European countries. The goal was to obtain information for developing empowering patient education. The data were collected (during 2009-2012) from patients (n = 943) with hip/knee arthroplasty prior to scheduled preoperative education and before discharge with the Received Knowledge of hospital patient scale (RKhp) and Expected Knowledge of hospital patient scale (EKhp). Patients' knowledge expectations were high but the level of received knowledge did not correspond to expectations. The difference between received and expected knowledge was higher in Greece and Sweden compared with Finland (p < .0001, p < .0001), Spain (p < .0001, p = .001), and Lithuania (p = .005, p = .003), respectively. Patients' knowledge expectations are important in tailoring patient education. To achieve high standards in the future, scientific research collaboration on empowering patient education is needed between European countries.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to Clinical nursing research
- Fulfilment of knowledge expectations among family members of patients undergoing arthroplasty: a European perspective.
- Authors: Sigurdardottir AK, Leino-Kilpi H, Charalambous A, Katajisto J, Stark ÅJ, Sourtzi P, Zabalegui A, Valkeapää K
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- The fulfilment of knowledge expectations during the perioperative period of patients undergoing knee arthroplasty -- a Nordic perspective.
- Authors: Ingadottir B, Johansson Stark A, Leino-Kilpi H, Sigurdardottir AK, Valkeapää K, Unosson M
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- The quality of recovery on discharge from hospital, a comparison between patients undergoing hip and knee replacement - a European study.
- Authors: Johansson Stark Å, Charalambous A, Istomina N, Salanterä S, Sigurdardottir AK, Sourtzi P, Valkeapää K, Zabalegui A, Bachrach-Lindström M
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Spouse-related factors associated with quality of recovery of patients after hip or knee replacement - a Nordic perspective.
- Authors: Stark ÅJ, Salanterä S, Sigurdardottir AK, Valkeapää K, Bachrach-Lindström M
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Fulfilment of knowledge expectations and emotional state among people undergoing hip replacement: a multi-national survey.
- Authors: Johansson Stark A, Ingadottir B, Salanterä S, Sigurdardottir A, Valkeapää K, Bachrach-Lindström M, Unosson M
- Issue date: 2014 Nov