Cross-national comparison of job satisfaction in doctors during economic recession.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationOccup Med (Lond) 2014, 64 (8):595-600
ÚtdrátturJob satisfaction in doctors is related to migration, burnout, turnover and health service quality. However, little is known about their job satisfaction during economic recessions. Iceland and Norway have similar health care systems, but only Iceland was affected severely by the 2008 economic crisis.
To examine job satisfaction in Icelandic and Norwegian doctors, to compare job satisfaction with Icelandic data obtained before the current recession and to examine job satisfaction in response to cost-containment initiatives.
A survey of all doctors working in Iceland during 2010, a representative comparison sample of Norwegian doctors from 2010 and a historic sample of doctors who worked at Landspitali University Hospital in Iceland during 2003. The main outcome measure was job satisfaction, which was measured using a validated 10-item scale.
Job satisfaction levels in Icelandic doctors (response rate of 61%, n = 622/1024), mean = 47.7 (SD = 10.9), were significantly lower than those of Norwegian doctors (response rate of 67%, n = 1025/1522), mean = 53.2 (SD = 8.5), after controlling for individual and work-related factors. Doctors at Landspitali University Hospital (response rate of 59%, n = 345/581) were less satisfied during the recession. Multiple regression analysis showed that cost-containment significantly affected job satisfaction (P < 0.001).
Job satisfaction in doctors was lower in Iceland than in Norway, which may have been attributable partly to the current economic recession.
Lu00FDsingTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to Occupational medicine (Oxford, England)
- The impact of economic factors on migration considerations among Icelandic specialist doctors: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Solberg IB, Tómasson K, Aasland O, Tyssen R
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 18
- Job satisfaction among hospital doctors in Norway and Germany. A comparative study on national samples.
- Authors: Rosta J, Nylenna M, Aasland OG
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Healthcare reforms and job satisfaction among doctors in Norway.
- Authors: Aasland OG, Rosta J, Nylenna M
- Issue date: 2010 May
- [Job satisfaction among Norwegian doctors].
- Authors: Nylenna M, Aasland OG
- Issue date: 2010 May 20
- Changes in job satisfaction among doctors in Norway from 2010 to 2017: a study based on repeated surveys.
- Authors: Rosta J, Aasland OG, Nylenna M
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 8