Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Obstet Gynecol Scand 2004, 83(6):563-9
AbstractBACKGROUND: The Board of the Nordic Federation of Societies of Obstetrics and Gynecology established a Quality Group for Gynecological Surgery connected with benign diseases with one member from each of the Nordic countries. The aim was to suggest guidelines for the quality assessment of such surgery. METHODS: A questionnaire study was carried out in all Nordic gynecological departments concerning quality assessment and the elaboration of guidelines. RESULTS: Most of the departments (80.4%) want to participate in establishing and maintaining a quality register. The majority of responders strongly agree that registers detect areas of satisfactory as well as unsatisfactory quality, and are necessary for comparison of treatment results among departments. Several departments are hesitant about joining a register if it will incur financial costs (59.5%) and/or extra work (47.6%). Most departments (71.4-94.6%) consider that all major gynecological surgery should be monitored. The departments agree that pre-, per-, and post hospital patient events should be included in any register. These results are incorporated into common general guidelines for quality assessment of gynecological surgery in the Nordic countries. CONCLUSION: The gynecological departments in the Nordic countries agree on the necessity for and the main content of registers for quality assessment, but the interest drops when extra work is needed, and if the departments have to pay to participate, which emphasize the need for simple and low-cost registers. In accordance with the results of the Nordic questionnaire, common general quality guidelines for gynecological surgery are suggested.
- Internal and external measures of quality assurance in gynecological surgery.
- Authors: Selbmann HK, Geraedts M
- Issue date: 1997 Feb
- Quality assessment in gynecology and obstetrics. Projects and experience in Switzerland.
- Authors: Haller U, Wyss P, Schilling J, Gutzwiller F
- Issue date: 1998 Jan
- Patient accept questionnaires integrated in clinical routine: a study by the Swedish National Register for Gynecological Surgery.
- Authors: Ladfors MB, Löfgren ME, Gabriel B, Olsson JH
- Issue date: 2002 May
- [Surgical treatment of benign gynecological disorders].
- Authors: Goderstad JM, Lieng M, Busund B
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 13
- [Quality assurance in Norwegian somatic hospitals].
- Authors: Melsom H, Jonsbu J, Mork T, Piene H
- Issue date: 1991 Oct 20