Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Hicks, A A
Frigge, M L
Gulcher, J R
MetadataShow full item record
CitationN. Engl. J. Med. 2000, 343(24):1765-70
AbstractBACKGROUND: The role of genetics in early-onset Parkinson's disease has been established, but whether there is a genetic contribution to the more common, late-onset form remains uncertain. METHODS: We reviewed the medical records and confirmed the diagnosis of Parkinson's disease in 772 living and deceased patients in whom the disease had been diagnosed during the previous 50 years in Iceland. With the use of an extensive computerized data base containing genealogic information on 610,920 people in Iceland during the past 11 centuries, several analyses were conducted to determine whether the patients were more related to each other than random members of the population (control subjects). RESULTS: Patients with Parkinson's disease, including a subgroup of 560 patients with late-onset disease (onset at >50 years of age), were significantly more related to each other than were subjects in matched groups of controls, and this relatedness extended beyond the nuclear family. The risk ratio for Parkinson's disease was 6.7 (95 percent confidence interval, 4.3 to 9.6) for siblings, 3.2 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.2 to 7.8) for offspring, and 2.7 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.6 to 3.9) for nephews and nieces of patients with late-onset Parkinson's disease. CONCLUSIONS: Late-onset Parkinson's disease has a genetic component as well as an environmental component.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- A genetic study of Parkinson's disease.
- Authors: De Michele G, Filla A, Marconi R, Volpe G, D'Alessio A, Scala R, Ambrosio G, Campanella G
- Issue date: 1995
- Environmental and genetic risk factors in Parkinson's disease: a case-control study in southern Italy.
- Authors: De Michele G, Filla A, Volpe G, De Marco V, Gogliettino A, Ambrosio G, Marconi R, Castellano AE, Campanella G
- Issue date: 1996 Jan
- Familial aggregation of early- and late-onset Parkinson's disease.
- Authors: Marder K, Levy G, Louis ED, Mejia-Santana H, Cote L, Andrews H, Harris J, Waters C, Ford B, Frucht S, Fahn S, Ottman R
- Issue date: 2003 Oct
- Interleukin-10 gene polymorphism in Parkinson's disease patients.
- Authors: Bialecka M, Klodowska-Duda G, Kurzawski M, Slawek J, Opala G, Bialecki P, Safranow K, Droździk M
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Young onset Parkinson's disease.
- Authors: Quinn N, Critchley P, Marsden CD
- Issue date: 1987