A novel TEAD1 mutation is the causative allele in Sveinsson's chorioretinal atrophy (helicoid peripapillary chorioretinal degeneration)
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Kristjansdottir, Gudlaug T
Gulcher, Jeffrey R
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHum. Mol. Genet. 2004, 13(9):975-81
AbstractSveinsson's chorioretinal atrophy (SCRA), also referred to as helicoid peripapillary chorioretinal degeneration or atrophia areata, is an autosomal dominant eye disease, characterized by symmetrical lesions radiating from the optic disc involving the retina and the choroid. Genome-wide linkage analysis mapped the SCRA gene to chromosome 11p15 in 81 patients from a large founder pedigree in Iceland. The parametric LOD score obtained was 18.9 using an autosomal dominant model with high penetrance. Crossover analysis of the linkage region with 51 markers identified a 593 kb segment shared by all patients. Sequencing exons of the only gene in this interval, the transcriptional enhancer TEAD1, revealed a novel missense mutation (Y421H) carried by all patients and none of the 502 controls. The mutation is in a conserved amino acid sequence in the C terminal of the protein, a potential binding site for YAP65 one of TEAD1's cofactors that is expressed in human retina as well as TEAD1 based on RT-PCR experiments. Therefore, we conclude that the mutation in the TEAD1 gene is the cause of Sveinsson's chorioretinal atrophy.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- A Sveinsson's chorioretinal atrophy-associated missense mutation in mouse Tead1 affects its interaction with the co-factors YAP and TAZ.
- Authors: Kitagawa M
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 5
- Novel TEAD1 gene variant in a Serbian family with Sveinsson's chorioretinal atrophy.
- Authors: Grubisa I, Jankovic M, Nikolic N, Jaksic V, Risimic D, Mavija M, Stamenkovic M, Zlatovic M, Milasin J
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Molecular and structural characterization of a TEAD mutation at the origin of Sveinsson's chorioretinal atrophy.
- Authors: Bokhovchuk F, Mesrouze Y, Izaac A, Meyerhofer M, Zimmermann C, Fontana P, Schmelzle T, Erdmann D, Furet P, Kallen J, Chène P
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Mapping the locus of atrophia areata, a helicoid peripapillary chorioretinal degeneration with autosomal dominant inheritance, to chromosome 11p15.
- Authors: Fossdal R, Magnússon L, Weber JL, Jensson O
- Issue date: 1995 Mar
- Cellular and molecular origin of circumpapillary dysgenesis of the pigment epithelium.
- Authors: Tosi J, Janisch KM, Wang NK, Kasanuki JM, Flynn JT, Lin CS, Tsang SH
- Issue date: 2009 May