The prevalence of age-related maculopathy in iceland: Reykjavik eye study
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationArch. Ophthalmol. 2003, 121(3):379-85
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To examine the age- and sex-specific prevalence of age-related maculopathy (ARM) and age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in citizens of Reykjavik, Iceland, who were 50 years and older. DESIGN: Random sample, cross sectional. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Response rate was 75.8%. The presence and severity of various characteristics of drusen and pigmentary changes that are typical of ARM and AMD were determined by grading stereoscopic color fundus photographs, using the international classification and grading system for ARM and AMD. RESULTS: We were able to evaluate 1021 right-eye and 1020 left-eye macular photographs. There was no statistically significant difference between right and left eyes. In people aged 50 to 59 years, 4.8% of participants (95% confidence interval [CI], 2.6-7.0) were found to have intermediate soft drusen measuring 63 to 125 micro m in either eye; 1.2% (95% CI, 0.0-2.3) had large soft distinct drusen larger than 125 micro m; and 0.6% (95% CI, 0.0-1.4) had large soft, crystalline, or semisolid drusen. The same figures for those 80 years and older were 18.2% (95% CI, 9.8-26.6), 10.9% (95% CI, 4.0-17.8), and 25.5% (95% CI, 18.4-32.6), respectively. Geographic atrophy was found in either eye in 9.2% of those participants 70 years and older (95% CI, 5.6-12.7), and exudative macular degeneration was found in 2.3% of participants 70 years and older (95% CI, 0.5-4.1). CONCLUSION: Geographic atrophy was found to be more common in our study than in other population-based studies.
- 5-year incidence of age-related maculopathy in the Reykjavik Eye Study.
- Authors: Jonasson F, Arnarsson A, Peto T, Sasaki H, Sasaki K, Bird AC
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- The prevalence of age-related maculopathy: the visual impairment project.
- Authors: VanNewkirk MR, Nanjan MB, Wang JJ, Mitchell P, Taylor HR, McCarty CA
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Ten-year incidence and progression of age-related maculopathy: The Beaver Dam eye study.
- Authors: Klein R, Klein BE, Tomany SC, Meuer SM, Huang GH
- Issue date: 2002 Oct
- Prevalence of age-related maculopathy and age-related macular degeneration among the inuit in Greenland. The Greenland Inuit Eye Study.
- Authors: Andersen MV, Rosenberg T, la Cour M, Kiilgaard JF, Prause JU, Alsbirk PH, Borch-Johnsen K, Peto T, Carstensen B, Bird AC
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Fifteen-year cumulative incidence of age-related macular degeneration: the Beaver Dam Eye Study.
- Authors: Klein R, Klein BE, Knudtson MD, Meuer SM, Swift M, Gangnon RE
- Issue date: 2007 Feb