N-acetylcysteine does not prevent bronchopulmonary dysplasia in immature infants: a randomized controlled trial
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Raivio, Kari O
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ. Pediatr. 2003, 143(6):713-9
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To evaluate whether N-acetylcysteine (NAC) infusion during the first week of life reduces the risk of death or bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) in infants with extremely low birth weight.Study design In a Nordic multicenter, double-blind trial, infants (n=391) weighing 500 to 999 g and on ventilator or nasal continuous positive airway pressure were randomized before the age of 36 hours to receive NAC 16 to 32 mg/kg/d (n=194) or placebo (n=197) intravenously for 6 days. Primary end points were death or BPD, defined as supplementary oxygen requirement at 36 weeks' gestational age. RESULTS: There was no difference in the combined incidence of the primary end points death or BPD, 51% vs. 49%, between the NAC group and control group. Also similar was the incidence of BPD in survivors at 36 weeks' gestational age, 40% vs. 40%, and the mean oxygen requirement at the age of 28 days, 31.2% vs. 30.7%, respectively. The severity of BPD was similar in both groups. CONCLUSIONS: A 6-day course of intravenous N-acetylcysteine at the dosage used does not prevent BPD or death in infants with extremely low birth weight.
- A controlled trial of dexamethasone to prevent bronchopulmonary dysplasia in surfactant-treated infants.
- Authors: Rastogi A, Akintorin SM, Bez ML, Morales P, Pildes RS
- Issue date: 1996 Aug
- Azithromycin in the extremely low birth weight infant for the prevention of bronchopulmonary dysplasia: a pilot study.
- Authors: Ballard HO, Anstead MI, Shook LA
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 5
- Systemic Hydrocortisone To Prevent Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia in preterm infants (the SToP-BPD study); a multicenter randomized placebo controlled trial.
- Authors: Onland W, Offringa M, Cools F, De Jaegere AP, Rademaker K, Blom H, Cavatorta E, Debeer A, Dijk PH, van Heijst AF, Kramer BW, Kroon AA, Mohns T, van Straaten HL, te Pas AB, Theyskens C, van Weissenbruch MM, van Kaam AH
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 9
- Early postnatal additional high-dose oral vitamin A supplementation versus placebo for 28 days for preventing bronchopulmonary dysplasia or death in extremely low birth weight infants.
- Authors: Meyer S, Gortner L, NeoVitaA Trial Investigators.
- Issue date: 2014
- Inhalation or instillation of steroids for the prevention of bronchopulmonary dysplasia.
- Authors: Bassler D
- Issue date: 2015