Breast cancer risk in airline cabin attendants: a nested case-control study in Iceland
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationOccup Environ Med 2003, 60(11):807-9
AbstractAIMS: To investigate whether length of employment as a cabin attendant was related to breast cancer risk, when adjusted for reproductive factors. METHODS: Age matched case-control study nested in a cohort of cabin attendants. The cases were found from a nationwide cancer registry (followed up to end of year 2000) and the reproductive factors (age at first childbirth and number of children) from a registry of childbirth, in both instances by record linkage with the cabin attendants' identification numbers. The employment time of the cabin attendants at the airline companies and the reproductive factors had been systematically recorded prior to the diagnosis of breast cancer in the cohort. A total of 35 breast cancer cases and 140 age matched controls selected from a cohort of 1532 female cabin attendants were included in the study. RESULTS: The matched odds ratio from conditional logistic regression of breast cancer risk among cases and controls of cabin attendants was 5.24 (95% CI 1.58 to 17.38) for those who had five or more years of employment before 1971 compared with those with less than five years of employment before 1971, adjusted for age at first childbirth and length of employment from 1971 or later. CONCLUSIONS: The association between length of employment and risk of breast cancer, adjusted for reproductive factors, indicates that occupational factors may be an important cause of breast cancer among cabin attendants; the association is compatible with a long induction period.
- Risk of breast cancer in female flight attendants: a population-based study (Iceland).
- Authors: Rafnsson V, Tulinius H, Jónasson JG, Hrafnkelsson J
- Issue date: 2001 Feb
- Breast cancer risk among Finnish cabin attendants: a nested case-control study.
- Authors: Kojo K, Pukkala E, Auvinen A
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- Incidence of cancer among Finnish airline cabin attendants, 1967-92.
- Authors: Pukkala E, Auvinen A, Wahlberg G
- Issue date: 1995 Sep 9
- Cancer incidence in airline cabin crew: experience from Sweden.
- Authors: Linnersjö A, Hammar N, Dammström BG, Johansson M, Eliasch H
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Mortality from cancer and other causes among airline cabin attendants in Germany, 1960-1997.
- Authors: Blettner M, Zeeb H, Langner I, Hammer GP, Schafft T
- Issue date: 2002 Sep 15