Risk of epilepsy in patients with multiple sclerosis: a population-based study in Iceland
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEpilepsia 1999, 40(6):745-7
AbstractPURPOSE: Several clinical series reported an association between multiple sclerosis (MS) and epilepsy. We conducted a total population study in Iceland to determine the risk for developing epilepsy in patients with MS compared with that expected in the general population. METHODS: Medical records of the 188 incidence cases of clinically definite MS first diagnosed in Iceland during the 25-year study period (1965-1989) were reviewed. The cases were followed up through 1994 or until death to identify those developing seizures or epilepsy. The expected number of cases with epilepsy in the MS-incidence cohort were calculated based on the age-specific incidence for epilepsy in Iceland and the age-specific person years of follow-up in the MS cohort. RESULTS: During the 2,771 person years of observation after diagnosis of clinically definite MS, three MS patients developed epilepsy. One additional case developed epilepsy after onset of MS symptoms but before diagnosis of MS. The cumulative incidence of epilepsy by 10 years after diagnosis of MS was 1.9%. Given the age-specific person years of follow-up after diagnosis of MS, only one case of epilepsy would have been expected; standardized incidence ratio (SIR), 3.0 (95% confidence interval (CI), 0.6-8.8). CONCLUSIONS: MS is a risk factor for developing epilepsy. Patients with MS have a threefold increase in risk for developing epilepsy when compared with that expected in the general population. The reason for this increased risk is unclear and needs further investigation.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Epilepsy and multiple sclerosis in Sicily: a population-based study.
- Authors: Nicoletti A, Sofia V, Biondi R, Lo Fermo S, Reggio E, Patti F, Reggio A
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Incidence of multiple sclerosis in Iceland, 2002-2007: a population-based study.
- Authors: Eliasdottir OJ, Olafsson E, Kjartansson O
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Italian cancer figures, report 2013: Multiple tumours.
- Authors: AIRTUM Working Group.
- Issue date: 2013 Jul-Oct
- A nationwide survey of the influence of month of birth on the risk of developing multiple sclerosis in Sweden and Iceland.
- Authors: Eliasdottir O, Hildeman A, Longfils M, Nerman O, Lycke J
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Incidence of unprovoked seizures and epilepsy in Iceland and assessment of the epilepsy syndrome classification: a prospective study.
- Authors: Olafsson E, Ludvigsson P, Gudmundsson G, Hesdorffer D, Kjartansson O, Hauser WA
- Issue date: 2005 Oct