Incidence and mortality after acute respiratory failure and acute respiratory distress syndrome in Sweden, Denmark, and Iceland
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAm. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 1999, 159(6):1849-61
AbstractTo determine the incidence and 90-d mortality of acute respiratory failure (ARF), acute lung injury (ALI), and the acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), we carried out an 8-wk prospective cohort study in Sweden, Denmark, and Iceland. All intensive care unit (ICU) admissions (n = 13,346) >/= 15 yr of age were assessed between October 6th and November 30th, 1997 in 132 of 150 ICUs with resources to treat patients with intubation and mechanical ventilation (I + MV) >/= 24 h. ARF was defined as I + MV >/= 24 h. ALI and ARDS were defined using criteria recommended by the American-European Consensus Conference on ARDS. Calculation to correct the incidence for unidentified subjects from nonparticipating ICUs was made. No correction for in- or out-migration from the study area was possible. The population in the three countries >/= 15 yr of age was 11.74 million. One thousand two hundred thirty-one ARF patients were included, 287 ALI and 221 ARDS patients were identified. The incidences were for ARF 77.6, for ALI 17.9, and for ARDS 13.5 patients per 100,000/yr. Ninety-day mortality was 41.0% for ARF, including ALI and ARDS patients, 42.2% for ALI not fulfilling ARDS criteria, and 41.2% for ARDS.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- [Incidence, severity and mortality of acute respiratory failure in Denmark].
- Authors: Antonsen K, Wetterslev J, Bonde J
- Issue date: 2000 May 15
- Acute lung injury and the acute respiratory distress syndrome in Ireland: a prospective audit of epidemiology and management.
- Authors: Irish Critical Care Trials Group.
- Issue date: 2008
- Acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome at the intensive care unit of a general university hospital in Brazil. An epidemiological study using the American-European Consensus Criteria.
- Authors: Fialkow L, Vieira SR, Fernandes AK, Silva DR, Bozzetti MC, Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Research Group.
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Epidemiology of acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome in The Netherlands: a survey.
- Authors: Wind J, Versteegt J, Twisk J, van der Werf TS, Bindels AJ, Spijkstra JJ, Girbes AR, Groeneveld AB
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- An early PEEP/FIO2 trial identifies different degrees of lung injury in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome.
- Authors: Villar J, Pérez-Méndez L, López J, Belda J, Blanco J, Saralegui I, Suárez-Sipmann F, López J, Lubillo S, Kacmarek RM, HELP Network.
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 15