High incidence of loss of heterozygosity in breast tumors from carriers of the BRCA2 999del5 mutation
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Geirsdottir, E K
Sigbjornsdottir, B I
Agnarsson, B A
Jonasson, J G
Barkardottir, R B
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCancer Res. 1998, 58(19):4421-5
AbstractGerm-line mutation in the BRCA2 gene confers an increased risk of breast cancer. An elevation of additional genetic defects in tumors of patients with germ-line mutation in the BRCA2 gene compared with sporadic breast tumors has been reported. To evaluate the nature of the difference, we did detailed mapping of chromosomes 1p, 3p, 6q, 11, 13q, 16q, 17, and 20q, using microsatellite markers. We found that the frequency of loss of heterozygosity was similar at some chromosomal regions in the BRCA2 999del5 and sporadic tumors but significantly different at others. These others include chromosomal arms 3p, 6q, 11p, 11q, 13q, and 17p. Loss of heterozygosity mapping suggests that the same chromosome regions are involved in both tumor groups but at elevated frequencies in BRCA2 999del5 tumors. This higher frequency of genetic aberrations could pinpoint genes that selectively promote tumor progression in individuals predisposed to breast cancer due to the BRCA2 999del5 germ-line mutation. Accumulation of somatic genetic changes during tumor progression may follow a specific and more aggressive pathway of chromosome damage in these individuals.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Distinct somatic genetic changes associated with tumor progression in carriers of BRCA1 and BRCA2 germ-line mutations.
- Authors: Tirkkonen M, Johannsson O, Agnarsson BA, Olsson H, Ingvarsson S, Karhu R, Tanner M, Isola J, Barkardottir RB, Borg A, Kallioniemi OP
- Issue date: 1997 Apr 1
- High incidence of loss of heterozygosity at chromosome 17p13 in breast tumours from BRCA2 mutation carriers.
- Authors: Eiriksdottir G, Barkardottir RB, Agnarsson BA, Johannesdottir G, Olafsdottir K, Egilsson V, Ingvarsson S
- Issue date: 1998 Jan 8
- Reduced Fhit expression in sporadic and BRCA2-linked breast carcinomas.
- Authors: Ingvarsson S, Agnarsson BA, Sigbjornsdottir BI, Kononen J, Kallioniemi OP, Barkardottir RB, Kovatich AJ, Schwarting R, Hauck WW, Huebner K, McCue PA
- Issue date: 1999 Jun 1
- Chromosome 8p alterations in sporadic and BRCA2 999del5 linked breast cancer.
- Authors: Sigbjörnsdottir BI, Ragnarsson G, Agnarsson BA, Huiping C, Barkardottir RB, Egilsson V, Ingvarsson S
- Issue date: 2000 May
- Replication error in human breast cancer: comparison with clinical variables and family history of cancer.
- Authors: Huiping C, Johannsdottir JT, Arason A, Olafsdottir GH, Eiriksdottir G, Egilsson V, Ingvarsson S
- Issue date: 1999 Jan-Feb