Seroepidemiology of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infections in Iceland 1987-96.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationScand. J. Infect. Dis. 1998, 30(2):177-80
AbstractMycoplasma pneumoniae is a common cause of respiratory tract infections in humans. The aim of the present study was to analyse the seroepidemiology of M. pneumoniae infections in Iceland during a 10-y period. A retrospective analysis of all serological diagnosis of M. pneumoniae infections at the Department of Medical Virology, National University Hospital in Reykjavík was performed. A total of 13,201 test results from 1987 to 1996 were reviewed and altogether 762 patients were found to have raised M. pneumoniae antibody titres, using a conventional complement fixation assay. Infections were most common amongst young people (< or=16 y) but a second peak in incidence was observed around the age of 35 y. Significant annual (p < 0.0001) and seasonal variations (p=0.0003) were observed; M. pneumoniae infections were most common during the winter period. Three major outbreaks with intervals of three to five years were observed during the observation period. Patients diagnosed during these outbreaks had higher M. pneumoniae titres than those found when infections were less frequent (p=0.0017). Furthermore, the middle aged and elderly patients (> 50 y) had significantly lower M. pneumoniae titres than younger patients (p=0.0014). The findings of this study show that M. pneumoniae infections have definite annual and seasonal variations and also confirm previous studies showing community outbreaks of M. pneumoniae infections every 3-5 y.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Chlamydia pneumoniae is an important cause of community-acquired pneumonia in school-aged children: serological results of a prospective, population-based study.
- Authors: Heiskanen-Kosma T, Korppi M, Laurila A, Jokinen C, Kleemola M, Saikku P
- Issue date: 1999
- [Serologic early diagnosis of pneumonia caused by Mycoplasma pneumoniae].
- Authors: Schmidt-Ioanas M, Bender M, Roth A, Allewelt M, de Roux A, Lode H
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 24
- Seroprevalence of Mycoplasma pneumoniae in HIV-infected patients using a microparticle agglutination test.
- Authors: Shankar EM, Kumarasamy N, Balakrishnan P, Vengatesan A, Kownhar H, Solomon S, Rao UA
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Effect of age on antibody titer to Mycoplasma pneumoniae.
- Authors: Daxboeck F, Kircher K, Krause R, Heinzl H, Wenisch C, Stanek G
- Issue date: 2002
- Comparison of laboratory diagnostic procedures for detection of Mycoplasma pneumoniae in community outbreaks.
- Authors: Thurman KA, Walter ND, Schwartz SB, Mitchell SL, Dillon MT, Baughman AL, Deutscher M, Fulton JP, Tongren JE, Hicks LA, Winchell JM
- Issue date: 2009 May 1