Genome-wide association yields new sequence variants at seven loci that associate with measures of obesity.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Walters, G Bragi
Gudbjartsson, Daniel F
Olafsdottir, Elinborg J
Olafsdottir, Gudridur H
Aben, Katja K
Verbeek, André L M
Yanek, Lisa R
Becker, Lewis C
Becker, Diane M
Kiemeney, Lambertus A
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNat. Genet. 2009, 41(1):18-24
AbstractObesity results from the interaction of genetic and environmental factors. To search for sequence variants that affect variation in two common measures of obesity, weight and body mass index (BMI), both of which are highly heritable, we performed a genome-wide association (GWA) study with 305,846 SNPs typed in 25,344 Icelandic, 2,998 Dutch, 1,890 European Americans and 1,160 African American subjects and combined the results with previously published results from the Diabetes Genetics Initiative (DGI) on 3,024 Scandinavians. We selected 43 variants in 19 regions for follow-up in 5,586 Danish individuals and compared the results to a genome-wide study on obesity-related traits from the GIANT consortium. In total, 29 variants, some correlated, in 11 chromosomal regions reached a genome-wide significance threshold of P < 1.6 x 10(-7). This includes previously identified variants close to or in the FTO, MC4R, BDNF and SH2B1 genes, in addition to variants at seven loci not previously connected with obesity.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Genome-wide association scan shows genetic variants in the FTO gene are associated with obesity-related traits.
- Authors: Scuteri A, Sanna S, Chen WM, Uda M, Albai G, Strait J, Najjar S, Nagaraja R, Orrú M, Usala G, Dei M, Lai S, Maschio A, Busonero F, Mulas A, Ehret GB, Fink AA, Weder AB, Cooper RS, Galan P, Chakravarti A, Schlessinger D, Cao A, Lakatta E, Abecasis GR
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Implication of European-derived adiposity loci in African Americans.
- Authors: Hester JM, Wing MR, Li J, Palmer ND, Xu J, Hicks PJ, Roh BH, Norris JM, Wagenknecht LE, Langefeld CD, Freedman BI, Bowden DW, Ng MC
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Six new loci associated with body mass index highlight a neuronal influence on body weight regulation.
- Authors: Willer CJ, Speliotes EK, Loos RJ, Li S, Lindgren CM, Heid IM, Berndt SI, Elliott AL, Jackson AU, Lamina C, Lettre G, Lim N, Lyon HN, McCarroll SA, Papadakis K, Qi L, Randall JC, Roccasecca RM, Sanna S, Scheet P, Weedon MN, Wheeler E, Zhao JH, Jacobs LC, Prokopenko I, Soranzo N, Tanaka T, Timpson NJ, Almgren P, Bennett A, Bergman RN, Bingham SA, Bonnycastle LL, Brown M, Burtt NP, Chines P, Coin L, Collins FS, Connell JM, Cooper C, Smith GD, Dennison EM, Deodhar P, Elliott P, Erdos MR, Estrada K, Evans DM, Gianniny L, Gieger C, Gillson CJ, Guiducci C, Hackett R, Hadley D, Hall AS, Havulinna AS, Hebebrand J, Hofman A, Isomaa B, Jacobs KB, Johnson T, Jousilahti P, Jovanovic Z, Khaw KT, Kraft P, Kuokkanen M, Kuusisto J, Laitinen J, Lakatta EG, Luan J, Luben RN, Mangino M, McArdle WL, Meitinger T, Mulas A, Munroe PB, Narisu N, Ness AR, Northstone K, O'Rahilly S, Purmann C, Rees MG, Ridderstråle M, Ring SM, Rivadeneira F, Ruokonen A, Sandhu MS, Saramies J, Scott LJ, Scuteri A, Silander K, Sims MA, Song K, Stephens J, Stevens S, Stringham HM, Tung YC, Valle TT, Van Duijn CM, Vimaleswaran KS, Vollenweider P, Waeber G, Wallace C, Watanabe RM, Waterworth DM, Watkins N, Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium., Witteman JC, Zeggini E, Zhai G, Zillikens MC, Altshuler D, Caulfield MJ, Chanock SJ, Farooqi IS, Ferrucci L, Guralnik JM, Hattersley AT, Hu FB, Jarvelin MR, Laakso M, Mooser V, Ong KK, Ouwehand WH, Salomaa V, Samani NJ, Spector TD, Tuomi T, Tuomilehto J, Uda M, Uitterlinden AG, Wareham NJ, Deloukas P, Frayling TM, Groop LC, Hayes RB, Hunter DJ, Mohlke KL, Peltonen L, Schlessinger D, Strachan DP, Wichmann HE, McCarthy MI, Boehnke M, Barroso I, Abecasis GR, Hirschhorn JN, Genetic Investigation of ANthropometric Traits Consortium.
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Risk of type 2 diabetes and obesity is differentially associated with variation in FTO in whites and African-Americans in the ARIC study.
- Authors: Bressler J, Kao WH, Pankow JS, Boerwinkle E
- Issue date: 2010 May 20
- Meta-analysis identifies common variants associated with body mass index in east Asians.
- Authors: Wen W, Cho YS, Zheng W, Dorajoo R, Kato N, Qi L, Chen CH, Delahanty RJ, Okada Y, Tabara Y, Gu D, Zhu D, Haiman CA, Mo Z, Gao YT, Saw SM, Go MJ, Takeuchi F, Chang LC, Kokubo Y, Liang J, Hao M, Le Marchand L, Zhang Y, Hu Y, Wong TY, Long J, Han BG, Kubo M, Yamamoto K, Su MH, Miki T, Henderson BE, Song H, Tan A, He J, Ng DP, Cai Q, Tsunoda T, Tsai FJ, Iwai N, Chen GK, Shi J, Xu J, Sim X, Xiang YB, Maeda S, Ong RT, Li C, Nakamura Y, Aung T, Kamatani N, Liu JJ, Lu W, Yokota M, Seielstad M, Fann CS, Genetic Investigation of ANthropometric Traits (GIANT) Consortium., Wu JY, Lee JY, Hu FB, Tanaka T, Tai ES, Shu XO
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 19