Cosmic radiation and cancer mortality among airline pilots: results from a European cohort study (ESCAPE).
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Hammer, G P
De Angelis, G
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRadiat Environ Biophys 2004, 42(4):247-56
AbstractCosmic radiation is an occupational risk factor for commercial aircrews. In this large European cohort study (ESCAPE) its association with cancer mortality was investigated on the basis of individual effective dose estimates for 19,184 male pilots. Mean annual doses were in the range of 2-5 mSv and cumulative lifetime doses did not exceed 80 mSv. All-cause and all-cancer mortality was low for all exposure categories. A significant negative risk trend for all-cause mortality was seen with increasing dose. Neither external and internal comparisons nor nested case-control analyses showed any substantially increased risks for cancer mortality due to ionizing radiation. However, the number of deaths for specific types of cancer was low and the confidence intervals of the risk estimates were rather wide. Difficulties in interpreting mortality risk estimates for time-dependent exposures are discussed.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Cosmic radiation and mortality from cancer among male German airline pilots: extended cohort follow-up.
- Authors: Hammer GP, Blettner M, Langner I, Zeeb H
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Cosmic radiation increases the risk of nuclear cataract in airline pilots: a population-based case-control study.
- Authors: Rafnsson V, Olafsdottir E, Hrafnkelsson J, Sasaki H, Arnarsson A, Jonasson F
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Mortality from cancer and other causes among male airline cockpit crew in Europe.
- Authors: Blettner M, Zeeb H, Auvinen A, Ballard TJ, Caldora M, Eliasch H, Gundestrup M, Haldorsen T, Hammar N, Hammer GP, Irvine D, Langner I, Paridou A, Pukkala E, Rafnsson V, Storm H, Tulinius H, Tveten U, Tzonou A
- Issue date: 2003 Oct 10
- Mortality from cancer and other causes in commercial airline crews: a joint analysis of cohorts from 10 countries.
- Authors: Hammer GP, Auvinen A, De Stavola BL, Grajewski B, Gundestrup M, Haldorsen T, Hammar N, Lagorio S, Linnersjö A, Pinkerton L, Pukkala E, Rafnsson V, dos-Santos-Silva I, Storm HH, Strand TE, Tzonou A, Zeeb H, Blettner M
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Cosmic radiation and cancer: is there a link?
- Authors: Di Trolio R, Di Lorenzo G, Fumo B, Ascierto PA
- Issue date: 2015