Ceruloplasmin and superoxide dismutase (SOD1) in Parkinson's disease: a follow-up study
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ. Neurol. Sci. 2006, 241(1-2):53-8
AbstractIn this follow-up study concentration, oxidative activity and specific oxidative activity of ceruloplasmin (CP) in serum and the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD1) in erythrocytes were reexamined in 28 of originally 40 patients with Parkinson's disease (PD), and their age- and gender-matched controls. The mean CP and SOD1 parameters were significantly lower in the patients than in the controls. SOD1 activity and age of the patients were inversely correlated. The patients were divided into two subgroups based on their H&Y score i.e. groups II and III (12 patients) versus groups IV and V (16 patients). No significant difference was found in the CP or SOD1 parameters between the subgroups. Patients were also divided into two subgroups based on treatment with levodopa and decarboxylase blocker alone (12 patients) or given additionally a dopamine agonist (15 patients). No significant difference in the parameters was found between these subgroups in relation to intake of dopamine agonists. Results of this study are in agreement with results of the former study 5 years earlier. There is considerable overlap in individual values between patients and controls of the parameters studied. Thus CP and SOD1 have no obvious value for diagnosis or clinical evaluation of PD.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Case-control studies on ceruloplasmin and superoxide dismutase (SOD1) in neurodegenerative diseases: a short review.
- Authors: Torsdottir G, Kristinsson J, Snaedal J, Sveinbjörnsdóttir S, Gudmundsson G, Hreidarsson S, Jóhannesson T
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 15
- Copper, ceruloplasmin and superoxide dismutase (SOD1) in patients with Down's syndrome.
- Authors: Tórsdóttir G, Kristinsson J, Hreidarsson S, Snaedal J, Jóhannesson T
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- Copper, ceruloplasmin, superoxide dismutase and iron parameters in Parkinson's disease.
- Authors: Tórsdóttir G, Kristinsson J, Sveinbjörnsdóttir S, Snaedal J, Jóhannesson T
- Issue date: 1999 Nov
- Hydroxyl radical and superoxide dismutase in blood of patients with Parkinson's disease: relationship to clinical data.
- Authors: Ihara Y, Chuda M, Kuroda S, Hayabara T
- Issue date: 1999 Nov 30
- Copper and zinc concentrations and the activities of ceruloplasmin and superoxide dismutase in atherosclerosis obliterans.
- Authors: Iskra M, Majewski W
- Issue date: 2000 Jan