The Adult Reading History Questionnaire (ARHQ) in Icelandic: Psychometric Properties and Factor Structure.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Halldorsson, Jonas G
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Learn Disabil. 2014; 47 (6):532-42
AbstractThis article describes psychometric testing of an Icelandic adaptation of the Adult Reading History Questionnaire (ARHQ), designed to detect a history of reading difficulties indicative of dyslexia. Tested in a large and diverse sample of 2,187 adults, the Icelandic adaptation demonstrated internal consistency reliability (Cronbach's alpha = .92) and test-retest reliability (r = .93). Validity was established by comparing scores of adults who as children received ICD-10 diagnoses of specific reading disorder (F81.0; n = 419) to those of adults defined as nondyslexics (n = 679). ROC curve analysis resulted in an area under the curve of .92 (95% CI = .90, .93, p < .001) and a cutoff score of .43 with sensitivity of 84.5% and specificity of 83.7%. An exploratory factor analysis (n = 2,187) suggested three subscales, Dyslexia Symptoms, Current Reading, and Memory, the mean scores of which differed significantly among diagnosed dyslexics, relatives of dyslexics, and population controls. Our results support the applicability of the ARHQ in Icelandic as a self-report screening tool for adult dyslexia in Iceland.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to Journal of learning disabilities
- Reliability and validity of the adult reading history questionnaire.
- Authors: Lefly DL, Pennington BF
- Issue date: 2000 May-Jun
- Demonstrating the psychometric properties of a problem-related distress screener in a community sample of 319 cancer survivors.
- Authors: Miller MF, Buzaglo JS, Clark KL, Loscalzo MJ, Kennedy V, Taylor J, Dougherty KR, Golant M
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Craniofacial pain and disability inventory (CF-PDI): development and psychometric validation of a new questionnaire.
- Authors: La Touche R, Pardo-Montero J, Gil-Martínez A, Paris-Alemany A, Angulo-Díaz-Parreño S, Suárez-Falcón JC, Lara-Lara M, Fernández-Carnero J
- Issue date: 2014 Jan-Feb
- Development of an Abbreviated Adult Reading History Questionnaire (ARHQ-Brief) Using a Machine Learning Approach.
- Authors: Feng L, Hancock R, Watson C, Bogley R, Miller ZA, Gorno-Tempini ML, Briggs-Gowan MJ, Hoeft F
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 9
- Screening for Dyslexia in French-Speaking University Students: An Evaluation of the Detection Accuracy of the Alouette Test.
- Authors: Cavalli E, Colé P, Leloup G, Poracchia-George F, Sprenger-Charolles L, El Ahmadi A
- Issue date: 2018 May/Jun