Health-related quality of life improves during one year of medical and surgical treatment in a European population-based inception cohort of patients with inflammatory bowel disease--an ECCO-EpiCom study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Dahlerup, J F
Nielsen, K R
Katsanos, K H
Tsianos, E V
Boni, M C
Lakatos, P L
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Crohns Colitis 2014, 8 (9):1030-42
AbstractHealth-related quality of life (HRQoL) is impaired in patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). The aim was prospectively to assess and validate the pattern of HRQoL in an unselected, population-based inception cohort of IBD patients from Eastern and Western Europe.
The EpiCom inception cohort consists of 1560 IBD patients from 31 European centres covering a background population of approximately 10.1 million. Patients answered the disease specific Short Inflammatory Bowel Disease Questionnaire (SIBDQ) and generic Short Form 12 (SF-12) questionnaire at diagnosis and after one year of follow-up.
In total, 1079 patients were included in this study. Crohn's disease (CD) patients mean SIBDQ scores improved from 45.3 to 55.3 in Eastern Europe and from 44.9 to 53.6 in Western Europe. SIBDQ scores for ulcerative colitis (UC) patients improved from 44.9 to 57.4 and from 48.8 to 55.7, respectively. UC patients needing surgery or biologicals had lower SIBDQ scores before and after compared to the rest, while biological therapy improved SIBDQ scores in CD. CD and UC patients in both regions improved all SF-12 scores. Only Eastern European UC patients achieved SF-12 summary scores equal to or above the normal population.
Medical and surgical treatment improved HRQoL during the first year of disease. The majority of IBD patients in both Eastern and Western Europe reported a positive perception of disease-specific but not generic HRQoL. Biological therapy improved HRQoL in CD patients, while UC patients in need of surgery or biological therapy experienced lower perceptions of HRQoL than the rest.
RightsArchived with thanks to Journal of Crohn's & colitis
- Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Occurrence, course and prognosis during the first year of disease in a European population-based inception cohort.
- Authors: Burisch J
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- East-West gradient in the incidence of inflammatory bowel disease in Europe: the ECCO-EpiCom inception cohort.
- Authors: Burisch J, Pedersen N, Čuković-Čavka S, Brinar M, Kaimakliotis I, Duricova D, Shonová O, Vind I, Avnstrøm S, Thorsgaard N, Andersen V, Krabbe S, Dahlerup JF, Salupere R, Nielsen KR, Olsen J, Manninen P, Collin P, Tsianos EV, Katsanos KH, Ladefoged K, Lakatos L, Björnsson E, Ragnarsson G, Bailey Y, Odes S, Schwartz D, Martinato M, Lupinacci G, Milla M, De Padova A, D'Incà R, Beltrami M, Kupcinskas L, Kiudelis G, Turcan S, Tighineanu O, Mihu I, Magro F, Barros LF, Goldis A, Lazar D, Belousova E, Nikulina I, Hernandez V, Martinez-Ares D, Almer S, Zhulina Y, Halfvarson J, Arebi N, Sebastian S, Lakatos PL, Langholz E, Munkholm P, EpiCom-group.
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Treatment Steps, Surgery, and Hospitalization Rates During the First Year of Follow-up in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Diseases from the 2011 ECCO-Epicom Inception Cohort.
- Authors: Vegh Z, Burisch J, Pedersen N, Kaimakliotis I, Duricova D, Bortlik M, Vinding KK, Avnstrøm S, Olsen J, Nielsen KR, Katsanos KH, Tsianos EV, Lakatos L, Schwartz D, Odes S, D'Incà R, Beltrami M, Kiudelis G, Kupcinskap L, Jucov A, Turcan S, Barros LF, Magro F, Lazar D, Goldis A, de Castro L, Hernandez V, Niewiadomski O, Bell S, Langholz E, Munkholm P, Lakatos PL, EpiCom-group.
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Initial disease course and treatment in an inflammatory bowel disease inception cohort in Europe: the ECCO-EpiCom cohort.
- Authors: Burisch J, Pedersen N, Cukovic-Cavka S, Turk N, Kaimakliotis I, Duricova D, Shonová O, Vind I, Avnstrøm S, Thorsgaard N, Krabbe S, Andersen V, Dahlerup Jens F, Kjeldsen J, Salupere R, Olsen J, Nielsen KR, Manninen P, Collin P, Katsanos KH, Tsianos EV, Ladefoged K, Lakatos L, Bailey Y, O'Morain C, Schwartz D, Odes S, Martinato M, Lombardini S, Jonaitis L, Kupcinskas L, Turcan S, Barros L, Magro F, Lazar D, Goldis A, Nikulina I, Belousova E, Fernandez A, Hernandez V, Almer S, Zhulina Y, Halfvarson J, Tsai HH, Sebastian S, Lakatos PL, Langholz E, Munkholm P, EpiCom Group.
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Environmental factors in a population-based inception cohort of inflammatory bowel disease patients in Europe--an ECCO-EpiCom study.
- Authors: Burisch J, Pedersen N, Cukovic-Cavka S, Turk N, Kaimakliotis I, Duricova D, Bortlik M, Shonová O, Vind I, Avnstrøm S, Thorsgaard N, Krabbe S, Andersen V, Dahlerup JF, Kjeldsen J, Salupere R, Olsen J, Nielsen KR, Manninen P, Collin P, Katsanos KH, Tsianos EV, Ladefoged K, Lakatos L, Ragnarsson G, Björnsson E, Bailey Y, O'Morain C, Schwartz D, Odes S, Giannotta M, Girardin G, Kiudelis G, Kupcinskas L, Turcan S, Barros L, Magro F, Lazar D, Goldis A, Nikulina I, Belousova E, Martinez-Ares D, Hernandez V, Almer S, Zhulina Y, Halfvarson J, Arebi N, Tsai HH, Sebastian S, Lakatos PL, Langholz E, Munkholm P, EpiCom-group.
- Issue date: 2014 Jul