European Antibiotic Awareness Day: a five-year perspective of Europe-wide actions to promote prudent use of antibiotics.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Magiorakos, A P
Monnet, D L
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEuro Surveill. 2014, 19 (41):
AbstractFollowing the European Union (EU) Council Recommendation on prudent use of antimicrobial agents in human medicine in 2001, and the success of national campaigns, i.e. Belgium and France, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) decided to establish the European Antibiotic Awareness Day (EAAD) on 18 November as platform to support national campaigns across Europe. This article provides an overview of EAAD tools, materials, and activities developed during the first five years. It shows that EAAD has been successful due to good cooperation between ECDC and national institutions, strong political and stakeholder support and evidence-based development of campaign materials. EAAD has provided a platform for pre-existing national campaigns and encouraged similar campaigns to develop where neither political support had been secured, nor financial support had been available. As a result, participating countries have continuously expressed strong support for ECDC to continue its work on EAAD. This has been endorsed by a steadily increasing number of countries participating and the growing interest of varied professional and stakeholder organisations. We conclude that EAAD should continue to act as catalyst for discussion and as mechanism to raise awareness of the public and prescribers about prudent use of antibiotics.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Files. This article is open access.
RightsArchived with thanks to Euro surveillance : bulletin Européen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin
- European Antibiotic Awareness Day, 2008 - the first Europe-wide public information campaign on prudent antibiotic use: methods and survey of activities in participating countries.
- Authors: Earnshaw S, Monnet DL, Duncan B, O'Toole J, Ekdahl K, Goossens H, European Antibiotic Awareness Day Technical Advisory Committee., European Antibiotic Awareness Day Collaborative Group.
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 30
- Note from the editors: 10th European Antibiotic Awareness Day (EAAD) - raising awareness about prudent use of antimicrobials to help curb antimicrobial resistance.
- Authors: Eurosurveillance Editorial Team
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- European Antibiotic Awareness Day provides platform for campaigns on prudent use of antibiotics for the fourth time.
- Authors: Eurosurveillance editorial team.
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 17
- Education of healthcare professionals and the public.
- Authors: McNulty CA, Cookson BD, Lewis MA
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- European Antibiotic Awareness Day 2012: getting smart about antibiotics, a public-professional partnership.
- Authors: Stockley JM
- Issue date: 2012 Nov