Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsNalls, Mike A
Noyce, Alastair J
Keller, Margaux F
Bestwick, Jonathan P
Traynor, Bryan J
Gibbs, J Raphael
Hernandez, Dena G
Cookson, Mark R
Morris, Huw R
Singleton, Andrew B
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHum. Mol. Genet. 2014, 23 (3):831-41
AbstractParkinson's disease (PD) has a number of known genetic risk factors. Clinical and epidemiological studies have suggested the existence of intermediate factors that may be associated with additional risk of PD. We construct genetic risk profiles for additional epidemiological and clinical factors using known genome-wide association studies (GWAS) loci related to these specific phenotypes to estimate genetic comorbidity in a systematic review. We identify genetic risk profiles based on GWAS variants associated with schizophrenia and Crohn's disease as significantly associated with risk of PD. Conditional analyses adjusting for SNPs near loci associated with PD and schizophrenia or PD and Crohn's disease suggest that spatially overlapping loci associated with schizophrenia and PD account for most of the shared comorbidity, while variation outside of known proximal loci shared by PD and Crohn's disease accounts for their shared genetic comorbidity. We examine brain methylation and expression signatures proximal to schizophrenia and Crohn's disease loci to infer functional changes in the brain associated with the variants contributing to genetic comorbidity. We compare our results with a systematic review of epidemiological literature, while the findings are dissimilar to a degree; marginal genetic associations corroborate the directionality of associations across genetic and epidemiological data. We show a strong genetically defined level of comorbidity between PD and Crohn's disease as well as between PD and schizophrenia, with likely functional consequences of associated variants occurring in brain.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Files. This article is open access.
RightsArchived with thanks to Human molecular genetics
- Identification of novel risk loci, causal insights, and heritable risk for Parkinson's disease: a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies.
- Authors: Nalls MA, Blauwendraat C, Vallerga CL, Heilbron K, Bandres-Ciga S, Chang D, Tan M, Kia DA, Noyce AJ, Xue A, Bras J, Young E, von Coelln R, Simón-Sánchez J, Schulte C, Sharma M, Krohn L, Pihlstrøm L, Siitonen A, Iwaki H, Leonard H, Faghri F, Gibbs JR, Hernandez DG, Scholz SW, Botia JA, Martinez M, Corvol JC, Lesage S, Jankovic J, Shulman LM, Sutherland M, Tienari P, Majamaa K, Toft M, Andreassen OA, Bangale T, Brice A, Yang J, Gan-Or Z, Gasser T, Heutink P, Shulman JM, Wood NW, Hinds DA, Hardy JA, Morris HR, Gratten J, Visscher PM, Graham RR, Singleton AB, 23andMe Research Team., System Genomics of Parkinson's Disease Consortium., International Parkinson's Disease Genomics Consortium.
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Evaluation of shared genetic susceptibility loci between autoimmune diseases and schizophrenia based on genome-wide association studies.
- Authors: Hoeffding LK, Rosengren A, Thygesen JH, Schmock H, Werge T, Hansen T
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Occurrence of Crohn's disease with Parkinson's disease.
- Authors: Fujioka S, Curry SE, Kennelly KD, Tacik P, Heckman MG, Tsuboi Y, Strongosky AJ, van Gerpen JA, Uitti RJ, Ross OA, Ikezu T, Wszolek ZK
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Identification of risk loci for Crohn's disease phenotypes using a genome-wide association study.
- Authors: Alonso A, Domènech E, Julià A, Panés J, García-Sánchez V, Mateu PN, Gutiérrez A, Gomollón F, Mendoza JL, Garcia-Planella E, Barreiro-de Acosta M, Muñoz F, Vera M, Saro C, Esteve M, Andreu M, Chaparro M, Manyé J, Cabré E, López-Lasanta M, Tortosa R, Gelpí JL, García-Montero AC, Bertranpetit J, Absher D, Myers RM, Marsal S, Gisbert JP
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Genome-wide association study of Parkinson's disease in East Asians.
- Authors: Foo JN, Tan LC, Irwan ID, Au WL, Low HQ, Prakash KM, Ahmad-Annuar A, Bei J, Chan AY, Chen CM, Chen YC, Chung SJ, Deng H, Lim SY, Mok V, Pang H, Pei Z, Peng R, Shang HF, Song K, Tan AH, Wu YR, Aung T, Cheng CY, Chew FT, Chew SH, Chong SA, Ebstein RP, Lee J, Saw SM, Seow A, Subramaniam M, Tai ES, Vithana EN, Wong TY, Heng KK, Meah WY, Khor CC, Liu H, Zhang F, Liu J, Tan EK
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 1