Retinal Vessel Oxygen Saturation during 100% Oxygen Breathing in Healthy Individuals.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsOlafsdottir, Olof Birna
Eliasdottir, Thorunn Scheving
Kristjansdottir, Jona Valgerdur
Hardarson, Sveinn Hakon
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPLoS ONE 2015, 10 (6):e0128780
AbstractTo detect how systemic hyperoxia affects oxygen saturation in retinal arterioles and venules in healthy individuals.
Retinal vessel oxygen saturation was measured in 30 healthy individuals with a spectrophotometric retinal oximeter (Oxymap T1). Oximetry was performed during breathing of room air, 100% oxygen (10 minutes, 6L/min) and then again room air (10 minutes recovery).
Mean oxygen saturation rises modestly in retinal arterioles during 100% oxygen breathing (94.5%±3.8 vs. 92.0%±3.7% at baseline, p<0.0001) and dramatically in retinal venules (76.2%±8.0% vs. 51.3%±5.6%, p<0.0001). The arteriovenous difference decreased during 100% oxygen breathing (18.3%±9.0% vs. 40.7%±5.7%, p<0.0001). The mean diameter of arterioles decreased during 100% oxygen breathing compared to baseline (9.7±1.4 pixels vs. 10.3±1.3 pixels, p<0.0001) and the same applies to the mean venular diameter (11.4±1.2 pixels vs. 13.3±1.5 pixels, p<0.0001).
Breathing 100% oxygen increases oxygen saturation in retinal arterioles and more so in venules and constricts them compared to baseline levels. The dramatic increase in oxygen saturation in venules reflects oxygen flow from the choroid and the unusual vascular anatomy and oxygen physiology of the eye.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Files. This article is open access.
RightsArchived with thanks to PloS one
- Retinal oximetry and systemic arterial oxygen levels.
- Authors: Eliasdottir TS
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Retinal oximetry.
- Authors: Hardarson SH
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Retinal oximetry measures systemic hypoxia in central nervous system vessels in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Authors: Eliasdottir TS, Bragason D, Hardarson SH, Vacchiano C, Gislason T, Kristjansdottir JV, Kristjansdottir G, Stefánsson E
- Issue date: 2017
- Retinal vessel oxygen saturation in healthy individuals.
- Authors: Geirsdottir A, Palsson O, Hardarson SH, Olafsdottir OB, Kristjansdottir JV, Stefánsson E
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 13
- Retinal vessel oxygen saturation in a healthy young Chinese population.
- Authors: Yang W, Fu Y, Dong Y, Lin L, Huang X, Li Y, Lin X, Gao Q
- Issue date: 2016 Jun