Posttraumatic stress and other health consequences of catastrophic avalanches: A 16-year follow-up of survivors.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsThordardottir, Edda Bjork
Valdimarsdottir, Unnur Anna
Shipherd, Jillian C
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Anxiety Disord. 2015, 32:103-11
AbstractTo date, no study has investigated the effects of avalanches on survivor's health beyond the first years. The aim of this study was to examine long-term health status 16 years after exposure to avalanches using a matched cohort design. Mental health, sleep quality and somatic symptoms among avalanche survivors (n=286) and non-exposed controls (n=357) were examined. Results showed that 16% of survivors currently experience avalanche-specific PTSD symptoms (PDS score>14). In addition, survivors presented with increased risk of PTSD hyperarousal symptoms (>85th percentile) (aRR=1.83; 98.3% CI [1.23-2.74]); sleep-related problems (PSQI score>5) (aRR=1.34; 95% CI [1.05-1.70]); PTSD-related sleep disturbances (PSQI-A score≥4) (aRR=1.86; 95% CI [1.30-2.67]); musculoskeletal and nervous system problems (aRR 1.43; 99% CI 1.06-1.93) and gastrointestinal problems (aRR 2.16; 99% CI 1.21-3.86) compared to the unexposed group. Results highlight the need for treatment for long-term PTSD symptoms and sleep disruption in disaster communities.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to Journal of anxiety disorders
- Sleep quality problems three decades post-disaster.
- Authors: Bakker LP, Småstuen MC, Reichelt JG, Gjerstad CL, Weisaeth L, Herlofsen PH, Grov EK
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- The Manifestations of Sleep Disturbances 16 Years Post-Trauma.
- Authors: Thordardottir EB, Hansdottir I, Valdimarsdottir UA, Shipherd JC, Resnick H, Gudmundsdottir B
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 1
- Risk Factors for Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms Among Avalanche Survivors: A 16-Year Follow-Up.
- Authors: Thordardottir EB, Hansdottir I, Shipherd JC, Valdimarsdottir UA, Resnick H, Elklit A, Gudmundsdottir R, Gudmundsdottir B
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Disaster exposure as a risk factor for mental health problems, eighteen months, four and ten years post-disaster--a longitudinal study.
- Authors: van den Berg B, Wong A, van der Velden PG, Boshuizen HC, Grievink L
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 18
- Psychopathological, biological, and neuroimaging characterization of posttraumatic stress disorder in survivors of a severe coalmining disaster in China.
- Authors: Wang HH, Zhang ZJ, Tan QR, Yin H, Chen YC, Wang HN, Zhang RG, Wang ZZ, Guo L, Tang LH, Li LJ
- Issue date: 2010 Apr