Second primary cancers among 109 000 cases of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Brewster, D H
McBride, M L
Kliewer, E V
Tonita, J M
Jonasson, J G
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr. J. Cancer. 2005, 93(1):159-66
AbstractAn analysis of other primary cancers in individuals with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) can help to elucidate this cancer aetiology. In all, 109 451 first primary NHL were included in a pooled analysis of 13 cancer registries. The observed numbers of second cancers were compared to the expected numbers derived from the age-, sex-, calendar period- and registry-specific incidence rates. We also calculated the standardised incidence ratios for NHL as a second primary after other cancers. There was a 47% (95% confidence interval 43-51%) overall increase in the risk of a primary cancer after NHL. A strongly significant (P<0.001) increase was observed for cancers of the lip, tongue, oropharynx*, stomach, small intestine, colon*, liver, nasal cavity*, lung, soft tissues*, skin melanoma*, nonmelanoma skin*, bladder*, kidney*, thyroid*, Hodgkin's lymphoma*, lymphoid leukaemia* and myeloid leukaemia. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma as a second primary was increased after cancers marked with an asterisk. Patterns of risk indicate a treatment effect for lung, bladder, stomach, Hodgkin's lymphoma and myeloid leukaemia. Common risk factors may be involved for cancers of the lung, bladder, nasal cavity and for soft tissues, such as pesticides. Bidirectional effects for several cancer sites of potential viral origin argue strongly for a role for immune suppression in NHL.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Second primary neoplasms following non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in New South Wales, Australia.
- Authors: Brennan P, Coates M, Armstrong B, Colin D, Boffetta P
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- Second cancers among long-term survivors of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Travis LB, Curtis RE, Glimelius B, Holowaty E, Van Leeuwen FE, Lynch CF, Adami J, Gospodarowicz M, Wacholder S, Inskip P
- Issue date: 1993 Dec 1
- Skin cancer and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma as second malignancies. markers of impaired immune function?
- Authors: Hemminki K, Jiang Y, Steineck G
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Risk of second primary cancer among esophageal cancer patients: a pooled analysis of 13 cancer registries.
- Authors: Chuang SC, Hashibe M, Scelo G, Brewster DH, Pukkala E, Friis S, Tracey E, Weiderpass E, Hemminki K, Tamaro S, Chia KS, Pompe-Kirn V, Kliewer EV, Tonita JM, Martos C, Jonasson JG, Dresler CM, Boffetta P, Brennan P
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Second primary neoplasms among 53 159 haematolymphoproliferative malignancy patients in Sweden, 1958-1996: a search for common mechanisms.
- Authors: Dong C, Hemminki K
- Issue date: 2001 Sep 28