Topical dexamethasone-cyclodextrin nanoparticle eye drops for non-infectious Uveitic macular oedema and vitritis - a pilot study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Ophthalmol. 2015, 93 (5):411-5
AbstractTo evaluate the safety and efficacy of 1.5% dexamethasone nanoparticle (DexNP) drops in eyes with non-infectious uveitic macular oedema and vitritis.
In a prospective pilot study, DexNP drops were administered four times a day for 4 weeks followed by drops tapering over a period of another 4 weeks. Follow-up time was 12 weeks.
Five eyes with macular oedema and three eyes with vitritis were included in the study. Best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) significantly improved from a median of 0.2 logMAR to a median of 0.15 logMAR at 4 weeks' time (p < 0.05). Median BCVA was 0.175 logMAR and 0.2 logMAR, at week 8 and 12, respectively (p > 0.05). Macular oedema significantly improved at all time-points as compared to baseline (p < 0.05) and resolved in all eyes during follow-up. One eye had macular oedema relapse at week 12. Vitritis improved in all eyes and resolved completely in two eyes. One eye had intraocular pressure (IOP) elevation which was well controlled with topical antihypertensive treatment, and one eye had cataract progression.
This short pilot study demonstrates favourable effect of 1.5% DexNP eye drops on eyes with non-infectious uveitic macular oedema and vitritis. Further comparative long-term studies are warranted to assess this effect.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to Acta ophthalmologica
- Topical dexamethasone γ-cyclodextrin nanoparticle eye drops increase visual acuity and decrease macular thickness in diabetic macular oedema.
- Authors: Ohira A, Hara K, Jóhannesson G, Tanito M, Ásgrímsdóttir GM, Lund SH, Loftsson T, Stefánsson E
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Topical dexamethasone-cyclodextrin microparticle eye drops for diabetic macular edema.
- Authors: Tanito M, Hara K, Takai Y, Matsuoka Y, Nishimura N, Jansook P, Loftsson T, Stefánsson E, Ohira A
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 10
- Topical dexamethasone-cyclodextrin microparticle eye drops for uveitic macular oedema.
- Authors: Krag S, Hessellund A
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Long-term evaluation of dexamethasone intravitreal implant in vitrectomized and non-vitrectomized eyes with macular edema secondary to non-infectious uveitis.
- Authors: Pelegrín L, de la Maza MS, Molins B, Ríos J, Adán A
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Treatment of non-infectious ophthalmic inflammatory diseases with 1.5% dexamethasone γ-cyclodextrin nanoparticle eye drops.
- Authors: Imamachi K, Stefánsson E, Ohira A, Tanito M
- Issue date: 2019 Dec