Two Phenotypes of Traditional Serrated Adenomas Nationwide Survey in Iceland.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAnticancer Res. 2015, 35 (9):4929-33
ÚtdrátturIceland has a total population of 300,000 inhabitants. All patients consulting for symptoms of the lower digestive tract during a four-year period (2003-2006) were subjected to a colonoscopic examination; all polyps were endoscopically removed. Out of the total 3,037 colorectal adenomas (CRAs), 308 (10.2%) were traditional serrated adenomas (TSAs). TSAs were divided according the predominant histological phenotype (>50%) into those with ectopic crypt formations (ECF), and those with unlocked serrations (US). ECF-TSA accounted for 5.9% (178/3037) and US-TSA for 4.3% (130/3037). The majority of patients with ECF-TSA and US-TSA were ≥60 years of age (74.1% and 76.2%, respectively). Notwithstanding, when patients having advanced adenomas (with high-grade dysplasia, with or without intramucosal carcinoma) were listed by age, those with ECF-TSA were significantly younger than those with US-TSA (p<0.05). ECF-TSA were more frequently left-sided (71.8%), whereas US-TSA were more frequently right-sided (60.0%). Invasive carcinoma evolved more frequently in ECF-TSA (7.8%) and in US-TSA (7.7%) than in tubular adenomas and in villous/tubulovillous adenonas (0.1% and 4.4%, respectively). Comparative studies indicated that the incidence rates/year of ECF-TSA and US-TSA were significantly higher in Iceland than in Sweden or in Italy (p<0.05). Genetic and putative epigenetic (environmental) factor(s) might account for the high incidence rate/year of ECF-TSA and US-TSA in this country.
RightsArchived with thanks to Anticancer research
- Histological overlap between colorectal villous/tubulovillous and traditional serrated adenomas.
- Authors: Hafezi-Bakhtiari S, Wang LM, Colling R, Serra S, Chetty R
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- The frequency of advanced adenoma in consulting patients: a nationwide survey in Iceland (2003-2006).
- Authors: Rubio CA, Kristjansdottir S, Thodleifsson B, Olafsdóttir E, Jonasson JG
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Ectopic crypt foci in conventional and serrated colorectal polyps.
- Authors: Väyrynen SA, Väyrynen JP, Klintrup K, Mäkelä J, Tuomisto A, Mäkinen MJ
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Traditional serrated adenomas (TSAs) admixed with other serrated (so-called precursor) polyps and conventional adenomas: a frequent occurrence.
- Authors: Chetty R, Hafezi-Bakhtiari S, Serra S, Colling R, Wang LM
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- From traditional serrated adenoma to tubulovillous adenoma and beyond.
- Authors: Kalimuthu SN, Chelliah A, Chetty R
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 15