The frequency and outcome of lupus nephritis: results from an international inception cohort study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsHanly, John G
O'Keeffe, Aidan G
Urowitz, Murray B
Clarke, Ann E
Wallace, Daniel J
Merrill, Joan T
Isenberg, David A
Ginzler, Ellen M
Gladman, Dafna D
Bruce, Ian N
Dooley, Mary Anne
Alarcón, Graciela S
Fessler, Barri J
Sturfelt, Gunnar K
Khamashta, Munther A
van Vollenhoven, Ronald F
Zoma, Asad A
Lim, S Sam
Kalunian, Kenneth C
Kamen, Diane L
Peschken, Christine A
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRheumatology (Oxford) 2016, 55 (2):252-62
AbstractTo determine nephritis outcomes in a prospective multi-ethnic/racial SLE inception cohort.
Patients in the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics inception cohort (≤15 months of SLE diagnosis) were assessed annually for estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR), proteinuria and end-stage renal disease (ESRD). Health-related quality of life was measured by the Short Form (36 questions) health survey questionnaire (SF-36) subscales, mental and physical component summary scores.
There were 1827 patients, 89% females, mean (s.d.) age 35.1 (13.3) years. The mean (s.d.) SLE duration at enrolment was 0.5 (0.3) years and follow-up 4.6 (3.4) years. LN occurred in 700 (38.3%) patients: 566/700 (80.9%) at enrolment and 134/700 (19.1%) during follow-up. Patients with nephritis were younger, more frequently men and of African, Asian and Hispanic race/ethnicity. The estimated overall 10-year incidence of ESRD was 4.3% (95% CI: 2.8%, 5.8%), and with nephritis was 10.1% (95% CI: 6.6%, 13.6%). Patients with nephritis had a higher risk of death (HR = 2.98, 95% CI: 1.48, 5.99; P = 0.002) and those with eGFR <30 ml/min at diagnosis had lower SF-36 physical component summary scores (P < 0.01) and lower Physical function, Physical role and Bodily pain scores. Over time, patients with abnormal eGFR and proteinuria had lower SF-36 mental component summary (P ≤ 0.02) scores compared to patients with normal values.
LN occurred in 38.3% of SLE patients, frequently as the initial presentation, in a large multi-ethnic inception cohort. Despite current standard of care, nephritis was associated with ESRD and death, and renal insufficiency was linked to lower health-related quality of life. Further advances are required for the optimal treatment of LN.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to Rheumatology (Oxford, England)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus in three ethnic groups. XII. Risk factors for lupus nephritis after diagnosis.
- Authors: Bastian HM, Roseman JM, McGwin G Jr, Alarcón GS, Friedman AW, Fessler BJ, Baethge BA, Reveille JD, LUMINA Study Group. LUpus in MInority populations: NAture vs nurture.
- Issue date: 2002
- Seizure disorders in systemic lupus erythematosus results from an international, prospective, inception cohort study.
- Authors: Hanly JG, Urowitz MB, Su L, Gordon C, Bae SC, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Romero-Diaz J, Wallace DJ, Clarke AE, Ginzler E, Merrill JT, Isenberg DA, Rahman A, Petri M, Fortin PR, Gladman D, Bruce IN, Steinsson K, Dooley M, Khamashta MA, Alarcón GS, Fessler BJ, Ramsey-Goldman R, Manzi S, Zoma AA, Sturfelt GK, Nived O, Aranow C, Mackay M, Ramos-Casals M, van Vollenhoven R, Kalunian KC, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Lim S, Kamen DL, Peschken CA, Inanc M, Theriault C, Thompson K, Farewell V
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Outcome of lupus nephritis in childhood onset SLE in North and Central India: single-centre experience over 25 years.
- Authors: Srivastava P, Abujam B, Misra R, Lawrence A, Agarwal V, Aggarwal A
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Evolution of chronic kidney disease in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus over a long-period follow-up: a single-center inception cohort study.
- Authors: Pokroy-Shapira E, Gelernter I, Molad Y
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Mood Disorders in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Results From an International Inception Cohort Study.
- Authors: Hanly JG, Su L, Urowitz MB, Romero-Diaz J, Gordon C, Bae SC, Bernatsky S, Clarke AE, Wallace DJ, Merrill JT, Isenberg DA, Rahman A, Ginzler EM, Petri M, Bruce IN, Dooley MA, Fortin P, Gladman DD, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Steinsson K, Ramsey-Goldman R, Khamashta MA, Aranow C, Alarcón GS, Fessler BJ, Manzi S, Nived O, Sturfelt GK, Zoma AA, van Vollenhoven RF, Ramos-Casals M, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Lim SS, Kalunian KC, Inanc M, Kamen DL, Peschken CA, Jacobsen S, Askanase A, Theriault C, Thompson K, Farewell V
- Issue date: 2015 Jul