Fiix-prothrombin time monitoring improves warfarin anticoagulation outcome in atrial fibrillation: a systematic review of randomized trials comparing Fiix-warfarin or direct oral anticoagulants to standard PT-warfarin.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFiix-prothrombin time monitoring improves warfarin anticoagulation outcome in atrial fibrillation: a systematic review of randomized trials comparing Fiix-warfarin or direct oral anticoagulants to standard PT-warfarin. 2016, 38 Suppl 1:78-90 Int J Lab Hematol
AbstractMonitoring warfarin with Fiix-prothrombin time (Fiix-PT), which is only affected by coagulation factors II and X, stabilizes anticoagulation and reduces thromboembolism compared to PT/INR monitoring. We compared outcome in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation (NVAF) patients treated with Fiix-warfarin, direct oral anticoagulants (DOACs), or PT-warfarin.
A systematic efficacy and safety assessment by retrieving data from the Fiix trial and the four major phase III DOAC trials in NVAF. Prespecified outcomes included stroke and systemic embolism (SSE), SSE and myocardial infarction (MI), major bleeding (MB), composite major vascular events (SSEMI and MB; CMVE), and deaths. We calculated relative risk, 95% CI, and 95% confidence limits (CL) for each outcome and performed meta-analysis using fixed- and random-effects modeling.
There were 613 and 628 observation years with Fiix-warfarin and PT-warfarin in the Fiix trial, and 70 628 and 57 962 with DOACs and PT-warfarin in DOAC trials. Populations were comparable although death rates were lower in the Fiix trial. Compared to pooled PT-warfarin, Fiix-warfarin reduced SSE (RR 0.54;95% CI 0.26-1.10/95% CL <1.00), SSEMI (0.51;0.26-0.99/<0.90), MB (RR 0.63;0.37-1.07/<0.99), and CMVE (RR 0.66;0.43-1.00/<0.94). Vascular death was lower (RR 0.13;0.04-0.47/<0.42). Compared to pooled DOACs, Fiix-warfarin consistently had lower point estimates for the RR for efficacy and safety, but only significant for lower death rates (vascular death RR 0.14;0.04-0.49/<0.43). Meta-analysis comparing Fiix-warfarin and DOACs with PT-warfarin consistently found Fiix-warfarin to have the lowest point estimates for efficacy.
Monitoring warfarin with Fiix-PT reduces risk of vascular events in NVAF patients as much as DOACs. Warfarin monitored with Fiix-PT is an improved anticoagulant.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to International journal of laboratory hematology
- Periprocedural Outcomes of Direct Oral Anticoagulants Versus Warfarin in Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation.
- Authors: Nazha B, Pandya B, Cohen J, Zhang M, Lopes RD, Garcia DA, Sherwood MW, Spyropoulos AC
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 2
- Fiix-prothrombin time versus standard prothrombin time for monitoring of warfarin anticoagulation: a single centre, double-blind, randomised, non-inferiority trial.
- Authors: Onundarson PT, Francis CW, Indridason OS, Arnar DO, Bjornsson ES, Magnusson MK, Juliusson SJ, Jensdottir HM, Vidarsson B, Gunnarsson PS, Lund SH, Gudmundsdottir BR
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Reduced anticoagulation variability in patients on warfarin monitored with Fiix-prothrombin time associates with reduced thromboembolism: The Fiix-trial.
- Authors: Oskarsdóttir AR, Gudmundsdottir BR, Indridason OS, Lund SH, Arnar DO, Bjornsson ES, Magnusson MK, Jensdottir HM, Vidarsson B, Francis CW, Onundarson PT
- Issue date: 2017 May
- During warfarin induction, the Fiix-prothrombin time reflects the anticoagulation level better than the standard prothrombin time.
- Authors: Jonsson PI, Letertre L, Juliusson SJ, Gudmundsdottir BR, Francis CW, Onundarson PT
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Suboptimal Anticoagulant Management in Japanese Patients with Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation Receiving Warfarin for Stroke Prevention.
- Authors: Hirano T, Kaneko H, Mishina S, Wang F, Morita S
- Issue date: 2017 Oct