Cardiovascular events prior to or early after diagnosis of systemic lupus erythematosus in the systemic lupus international collaborating clinics cohort.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsUrowitz, M B
Gladman, D D
Anderson, N M
Bae, S C
Fortin, P R
Hanly, J G
Wallace, D J
Alarcón, G S
Fessler, B F
Bruce, I N
Kalunian, K C
van Vollenhoven, R
Kamen, D L
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCardiovascular events prior to or early after diagnosis of systemic lupus erythematosus in the systemic lupus international collaborating clinics cohort. 2016, 3 (1):e000143 Lupus Sci Med
AbstractTo describe the frequency of myocardial infarction (MI) prior to the diagnosis of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and within the first 2 years of follow-up.
The systemic lupus international collaborating clinics (SLICC) atherosclerosis inception cohort enters patients within 15 months of SLE diagnosis. MIs were reported and attributed on a specialised vascular event form. MIs were confirmed by one or more of the following: abnormal ECG, typical or atypical symptoms with ECG abnormalities and elevated enzymes (≥2 times upper limit of normal), or abnormal stress test, echocardiogram, nuclear scan or angiogram. Descriptive statistics were used.
31 of 1848 patients who entered the cohort had an MI. Of those, 23 patients had an MI prior to SLE diagnosis or within the first 2 years of disease. Of the 23 patients studied, 60.9% were female, 78.3% were Caucasian, 8.7% black, 8.7% Hispanic and 4.3% other. The mean age at SLE diagnosis was 52.5±15.0 years. Of the 23 MIs that occurred, 16 MIs occurred at a mean of 6.1±7.0 years prior to diagnosis and 7 occurred within the first 2 years of follow-up. Risk factors associated with early MI in univariate analysis are male sex, Caucasian, older age at diagnosis, hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia, family history of MI and smoking. In multivariate analysis only age (OR=1.06 95% CI 1.03 to 1.09), hypertension (OR=5.01, 95% CI 1.38 to 18.23), hypercholesterolaemia (OR=4.43, 95% CI 1.51 to 12.99) and smoking (OR=7.50, 95% CI 2.38 to 23.57) remained significant risk factors.
In some patients with lupus, MI may develop even before the diagnosis of SLE or shortly thereafter, suggesting that there may be a link between autoimmune inflammation and atherosclerosis.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Files. This article is open access.
RightsArchived with thanks to Lupus science & medicine
- High predictive value of the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics/American College of Rheumatology damage index for survival in systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Nived O, Jönsen A, Bengtsson AA, Bengtsson C, Sturfelt G
- Issue date: 2002 Jul
- Classification of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics Versus American College of Rheumatology Criteria. A Comparative Study of 2,055 Patients From a Real-Life, International Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Cohort.
- Authors: Inês L, Silva C, Galindo M, López-Longo FJ, Terroso G, Romão VC, Rúa-Figueroa I, Santos MJ, Pego-Reigosa JM, Nero P, Cerqueira M, Duarte C, Miranda LC, Bernardes M, Gonçalves MJ, Mouriño-Rodriguez C, Araújo F, Raposo A, Barcelos A, Couto M, Abreu P, Otón-Sanchez T, Macieira C, Ramos F, Branco JC, Silva JA, Canhão H, Calvo-Alén J, Rheumatic Diseases Registry of the Portuguese Society of Rheumatology., Registry of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Patients of the Spanish Society of Rheumatology.
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Prevalence and risk factors of carotid plaque in women with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Manzi S, Selzer F, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Fitzgerald SG, Rairie JE, Tracy RP, Kuller LH
- Issue date: 1999 Jan
- The Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics/American College of Rheumatology (SLICC/ACR) Damage Index for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus International Comparison.
- Authors: Gladman DD, Goldsmith CH, Urowitz MB, Bacon P, Fortin P, Ginzler E, Gordon C, Hanly JG, Isenberg DA, Petri M, Nived O, Snaith M, Sturfelt G
- Issue date: 2000 Feb
- Coronary, Carotid, and Lower-extremity Atherosclerosis and Their Interrelationship in Danish Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
- Authors: Kay SD, Poulsen MK, Diederichsen AC, Voss A
- Issue date: 2016 Feb