Drug allergy passport and other documentation for patients with drug hypersensitivity - An ENDA/EAACI Drug Allergy Interest Group Position Paper.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Oude Elberink, J N G
Garvey, L H
Laguna, J J
Makowska, J S
Papadopolous, N G
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDrug allergy passport and other documentation for patients with drug hypersensitivity - An ENDA/EAACI Drug Allergy Interest Group Position Paper. 2016, 71 (11):1533-1539 Allergy
AbstractThe strongest and best-documented risk factor for drug hypersensitivity (DH) is the history of a previous reaction. Accidental exposures to drugs may lead to severe or even fatal reactions in sensitized patients. Preventable prescription errors are common. They are often due to inadequate medical history or poor risk assessment of recurrence of drug reaction. Proper documentation is essential information for the doctor to make sound therapeutic decision. The European Network on Drug Allergy and Drug Allergy Interest Group of the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology have formed a task force and developed a drug allergy passport as well as general guidelines of drug allergy documentation. A drug allergy passport, a drug allergy alert card, a certificate, and a discharge letter after medical evaluation are adequate means to document DH in a patient. They are to be handed to the patient who is advised to carry the documentation at all times especially when away from home. A drug allergy passport should at least contain information on the culprit drug(s) including international nonproprietary name, clinical manifestations including severity, diagnostic measures, potential cross-reactivity, alternative drugs to prescribe, and where more detailed information can be obtained from the issuer. It should be given to patients only after full allergy workup. In the future, electronic prescription systems with alert functions will become more common and should include the same information as in paper-based documentation.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
- International Consensus on drug allergy.
- Authors: Demoly P, Adkinson NF, Brockow K, Castells M, Chiriac AM, Greenberger PA, Khan DA, Lang DM, Park HS, Pichler W, Sanchez-Borges M, Shiohara T, Thong BY
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- In vitro tests for drug hypersensitivity reactions: an ENDA/EAACI Drug Allergy Interest Group position paper.
- Authors: Mayorga C, Celik G, Rouzaire P, Whitaker P, Bonadonna P, Rodrigues-Cernadas J, Vultaggio A, Brockow K, Caubet JC, Makowska J, Nakonechna A, Romano A, Montañez MI, Laguna JJ, Zanoni G, Gueant JL, Oude Elberink H, Fernandez J, Viel S, Demoly P, Torres MJ, In vitro tests for Drug Allergy Task Force of EAACI Drug Interest Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Skin test concentrations for systemically administered drugs -- an ENDA/EAACI Drug Allergy Interest Group position paper.
- Authors: Brockow K, Garvey LH, Aberer W, Atanaskovic-Markovic M, Barbaud A, Bilo MB, Bircher A, Blanca M, Bonadonna B, Campi P, Castro E, Cernadas JR, Chiriac AM, Demoly P, Grosber M, Gooi J, Lombardo C, Mertes PM, Mosbech H, Nasser S, Pagani M, Ring J, Romano A, Scherer K, Schnyder B, Testi S, Torres M, Trautmann A, Terreehorst I, ENDA/EAACI Drug Allergy Interest Group.
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- A UK national survey of investigations for beta-lactam hypersensitivity - heterogeneity in practice and a need for national guidelines - on behalf of British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology (BSACI).
- Authors: Richter AG, Nasser SM, Krishna MT
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Pharmacovigilance of drug allergy and hypersensitivity using the ENDA-DAHD database and the GALEN platform. The Galenda project.
- Authors: Bousquet PJ, Demoly P, Romano A, Aberer W, Bircher A, Blanca M, Brockow K, Pichler W, Torres MJ, Terreehorst I, Arnoux B, Atanaskovic-Markovic M, Barbaud A, Bijl A, Bonadonna P, Burney PG, Caimmi S, Canonica GW, Cernadas J, Dahlen B, Daures JP, Fernandez J, Gomes E, Gueant JL, Kowalski ML, Kvedariene V, Mertes PM, Martins P, Nizankowska-Mogilnicka E, Papadopoulos N, Ponvert C, Pirmohamed M, Ring J, Salapatas M, Sanz ML, Szczeklik A, Van Ganse E, De Weck AL, Zuberbier T, Merk HF, Sachs B, Sidoroff A, Global Allergy, Asthma European Network (GALEN) and Drug Allergy and Hypersensitivity Database (DAHD) and the European Network for Drug Allergy (ENDA).
- Issue date: 2009 Feb