During warfarin induction, the Fiix-prothrombin time reflects the anticoagulation level better than the standard prothrombin time.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDuring warfarin induction, the Fiix-prothrombin time reflects the anticoagulation level better than the standard prothrombin time. 2017, 15 (1):131-139 J. Thromb. Haemost.
AbstractEssentials Fiix-prothrombin time (PT) monitoring of warfarin measuring factor (F) II and X, is effective. Plasma obtained during warfarin induction and stable phase in Fiix-trial was assayed. Fiix-PT stabilized anticoagulation earlier than monitoring with traditional PT-INR. FVII had little effect on thrombin generation that was mainly determined by FII and FX.
Background The prothrombin time (PT) is equally prolonged by reduction of each of the vitamin K-dependent (VKD) factors (F) II, VII and X. The Fiix-PT is only affected by FII and FX, the main contributors to thrombin generation (TG). Objective To test the hypothesis that variability in warfarin anticoagulation is reduced early during monitoring with the normalized PT-ratio calculated from Fiix-PT (Fiix-International Normalized Ratio [INR]) compared with traditional PT-INR monitoring. Also, that because of its insensitivity to FVII, Fiix-PT more accurately reflects TG when Fiix-INR and PT-INR are discrepant. Methods Samples from Fiix-trial participants monitored with either Fiix-PT or PT were used. VKD coagulation factors and TG were measured in samples from 40 patients during stable anticoagulation and in serial samples obtained from 26 patients during warfarin induction. TG was assessed in relation to selective reduction in single VKD factors. Results During Fiix-warfarin induction full anticoagulation measured as FII or FX activity was achieved at a similar rate to that with PT-warfarin but subsequently stabilized better. Fiix-INR but not PT-INR mirrored total TG during initiation. During induction, FII (R(2) = 0.66) and FX (R(2) = 0.52) correlated better with TG and with a steeper slope than did FIX (R(2) = 0.37) and in particular FVII (R(2) = 0.21). In vitro, FII and FX were the main determinants of TG at concentrations observed during VKA anticoagulation, whereas FVII and FIX had little influence. Conclusions Fiix-PT monitoring reduces anticoagulation variability, suggesting that monitoring FVII has a limited role during VKA management. TG is better reflected by Fiix-PT.
DescriptionNeðst á síðunni er hægt að nálgast greinina í heild sinni með því að smella á hlekkinn View/OpenTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page
RightsArchived with thanks to Journal of thrombosis and haemostasis : JTH
- Critical role of factors II and X during coumarin anticoagulation and their combined measurement with a new Fiix-prothrombin time.
- Authors: Gudmundsdottir BR, Francis CW, Bjornsdottir AM, Nellbring M, Onundarson PT
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Fiix-prothrombin time versus standard prothrombin time for monitoring of warfarin anticoagulation: a single centre, double-blind, randomised, non-inferiority trial.
- Authors: Onundarson PT, Francis CW, Indridason OS, Arnar DO, Bjornsson ES, Magnusson MK, Juliusson SJ, Jensdottir HM, Vidarsson B, Gunnarsson PS, Lund SH, Gudmundsdottir BR
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Reduced anticoagulation variability in patients on warfarin monitored with Fiix-prothrombin time associates with reduced thromboembolism: The Fiix-trial.
- Authors: Oskarsdóttir AR, Gudmundsdottir BR, Indridason OS, Lund SH, Arnar DO, Bjornsson ES, Magnusson MK, Jensdottir HM, Vidarsson B, Francis CW, Onundarson PT
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Contributions of procoagulants and anticoagulants to the international normalized ratio and thrombin generation assay in patients treated with warfarin: potential role of protein Z as a powerful determinant of coagulation assays.
- Authors: Choi Q, Kim JE, Hyun J, Han KS, Kim HK
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- The need for an adapted initiation nomogram during Fiix prothrombin time monitoring of warfarin.
- Authors: Onundarson PT, Gudmundsdottir BR
- Issue date: 2019 Nov