Reduced anticoagulation variability in patients on warfarin monitored with Fiix-prothrombin time associates with reduced thromboembolism: The Fiix-trial.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsOskarsdóttir, Alma Rut
Gudmundsdottir, Brynja R
Indridason, Olafur S
Lund, Sigrun H
Arnar, David O
Bjornsson, Einar S
Magnusson, Magnus K
Jensdottir, Hulda M
Francis, Charles W
Onundarson, Pall T
MetadataShow full item record
CitationReduced anticoagulation variability in patients on warfarin monitored with Fiix-prothrombin time associates with reduced thromboembolism: The Fiix-trial. 2017, 43 (4):550-561 J. Thromb. Thrombolysis
AbstractFiix-prothrombin time (Fiix-PT) differs from traditional PT in being affected by reduced factor (F) II or FX only. In the randomized controlled Fiix-trial, patients on warfarin monitored with Fiix-PT (Fiix-warfarin patients) had fewer thromboembolisms (TE), similar major bleeding (MB) and more stable anticoagulation than patients monitored with PT (PT-warfarin patients). In the current Fiix-trial report we analyzed how reduced anticoagulation variability during Fiix-PT monitoring was reflected in patients with TE or bleeding. Data from 1143 randomized patients was used. We analyzed the groups for anticoagulation intensity (time within target range; TTR), international normalized ratio (INR) variability (variance growth rate B1; VGR) and dose adjustment frequency. We assessed how these parameters associated with clinically relevant vascular events (CRVE), ie TE or MB or clinically relevant non-MB. TTR was highest in Fiix-warfarin patients without CRVE (median 82%;IQR 72-91) and lowest in PT-warfarin patients with TE (62%;56-81). VGR was lowest in Fiix-warfarin patients without CRVE (median VGR B1 0.17; 95% CI 0.08-0.38) and with TE (0.20;0.07-0.26) and highest in PT-warfarin patients with TE (0.50;0.27-0.90) or MB (0.59;0.07-1.36). The mean annual dose adjustment frequency was lowest in Fiix-warfarin patients with TE (mean 5.4;95% CI 3.9-7.3) and without CRVE (mean 6.0; 5.8-6.2) and highest in PT-warfarin patients with TE (14.2;12.2-16.3). Frequent dose changes predicted MB in both study arms. Compared to patients monitored with PT, high anticoagulation stability in Fiix-warfarin patients coincided with their low TE rate. Those with bleeding had high variability irrespective of monitoring method. Thus, although further improvements are needed to reduce bleeding, stabilization of anticoagulation by Fiix-PT monitoring associates with reduced TE.
RightsArchived with thanks to Journal of thrombosis and thrombolysis
- Fiix-prothrombin time versus standard prothrombin time for monitoring of warfarin anticoagulation: a single centre, double-blind, randomised, non-inferiority trial.
- Authors: Onundarson PT, Francis CW, Indridason OS, Arnar DO, Bjornsson ES, Magnusson MK, Juliusson SJ, Jensdottir HM, Vidarsson B, Gunnarsson PS, Lund SH, Gudmundsdottir BR
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- During warfarin induction, the Fiix-prothrombin time reflects the anticoagulation level better than the standard prothrombin time.
- Authors: Jonsson PI, Letertre L, Juliusson SJ, Gudmundsdottir BR, Francis CW, Onundarson PT
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Fiix-prothrombin time monitoring improves warfarin anticoagulation outcome in atrial fibrillation: a systematic review of randomized trials comparing Fiix-warfarin or direct oral anticoagulants to standard PT-warfarin.
- Authors: Onundarson PT, Arnar DO, Lund SH, Gudmundsdottir BR, Francis CW, Indridason OS
- Issue date: 2016 May
- The need for an adapted initiation nomogram during Fiix prothrombin time monitoring of warfarin.
- Authors: Onundarson PT, Gudmundsdottir BR
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Critical role of factors II and X during coumarin anticoagulation and their combined measurement with a new Fiix-prothrombin time.
- Authors: Gudmundsdottir BR, Francis CW, Bjornsdottir AM, Nellbring M, Onundarson PT
- Issue date: 2012 Oct